The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP brake lever position
Bit of guidance please.

I have the back axle out of the RP (seal replacements) and thought I would just check the correct position for the brake levers.

Viewed from the diff should they be at 7 o'clock

or 1 o'clock?

p.s. Apologies for the poor quality pics.
The top photo (7 o'clock) is correct Nick.
I'm alarmed by the number of cars that come to us with the levers the wrong way round, rendering the rear brakes almost completely useless!
Thanks Martin. Exactly as I thought. PO had them at 1 o'clock. Aside from the brake linings being nicely steeped in EP140 that position would not have helped the braking effort!
(01-11-2017, 10:15 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: I'm alarmed by the number of cars that come to us with the levers the wrong way round, rendering the rear brakes almost completely useless!

Apparently Austin 7 brakes are supposed to be useless, it is all part of the A7 folk law that we are supposed to uphold Martin, this is just one of the dodges some owners employ to ensure they do so.
Black Art Enthusiast
Because it's so much easier to remove and replace the cotter pins if you rotate the brake levers 180°, it's quite likely that many owners just left them like that, not realising that they were reducing quite considerably the effectiveness of the system.
This topic regularly arises and I have seen several reversed. Without ratting out deep buried parts I seem to recall the pre Girling Ruby has levers slightly more forward than the RP. Perhaps someone can confirm. Cable lengths differ.

Arms are inverted because the car is lowered, or long arms are preferred  and wont clear the true RP axle, or are assembled with the axle unsupported when the alignment seems reasonable etc etc.
In most cases it seems inevitable will strike bodywork if upside down..

The cable should be constrained to move vaguely tin he same arc as the axle..if met, braking should be much the same