The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
green supercharged seven
Hi all, though I'd shear our trip to America this year. As I thought the first part of the trip may interest a few.

We usually go over the pond to attend the Hershey autojumble or swap meet. But wilst there we look for other things of interest to do.

What we originally had planned, wasn't working out for us, the week before we were due to fly out. So we needed to find something else.

We have both wanted to visit the wheels through time museum for several years now, and tracy sed why not. (Sounds good to me ).

First thing in the way was the 1,000 miles from New York, to Maggie valley NC. And the fact that we had only 3 extra days before Hershey to do the trip. So I called BA about going out a couple of days earlier and changing the airport we were going too. so the drive was only 100 miles.

Mind you I couldn't warrant all the extra costs, working out around another £2,000 in total. So we opted for the more exciting option. Go out two days earlier, land at Newark New York. And drive the 1,000 miles each way.

So for our first day it started as usual up at 5am to get to Heathrow nice and early. Land at Newark NY, at 1.30pm usa time or 6.30 UK. it was near 3pm usa by the time we were through customs and into our rental car. The next 6 hours driving were not without excitement. About 1 hour in and the flashing lights came on behind us. ( dam it, it's the rossers ). Unmarked car with two over ambitious state troopers. As the younger won aproached the passenger side he uncliped the holster to his gun and sat his hand on it. Tracy went very quiet. Not used to that Big Grin I started with, everything ok officer. the reply, I spotted you mist a couple of turn signals and you were doing 73 in a 65. Yep sorry about that, the speeding was to get past the lorry and what's a turn signal. By now the trooper realised he was dealing with a tourist, the mood changed. the gun was put away. And we had a lengthy chat and a laugh

To be continued.

[attachment=1195]After a quick toilet break, here is part two.

We travelled as long as we could, and found a hotel around 10pm usa time 3am UK. A total first day of 22 hours. A long day and another one to do tomorrow. I think we were in a place called Winchester, Virginia.

Next day another early start as far as I'm used to 6am, as I new we had another good 8 hours to go.
After a bit I noticed petrol was getting down there. So I pulled of the interstate (motorway to us). Filled up and went to lok for the local antique / old tatt malls. On the way I drove past this old garage and just had to stop. 

Check the picture hopefully attached, zoom in for the MAD religious element across the top of the garage, YES THIS IS HOW JUDGEMENT DAY IS GOING TO HAPPEN?

well it's been a nice day with the blue ridge mountains to look at for most of it, it's 3pm and we have just crossed into tenasee, hang on I think I've gone to far. Well I don't have a map you know. So I stopped at the welcome centre, and asked directions to Maggie valley. The answer being carry on for another 75 miles and turn left. Another hour and you will find it.

As we turned of the I80 the views got really exciting. Close ups to the mountain ranges and old smokey. Wow.

I may have to put some pics on seperate.

[attachment=1196]

[attachment=1197]

Well we are there.

Maggie valley.

Got booked into the hotel around 5.30 pm and having a good look around. Strangely enough someone sed there was a car show on in Maggie valley the next few days. So some added interest. And we have found were the museum is. And can't waite till tomorrow, a car show, and the wheels through time museum.

But first, it's been a long trip through 6 states. Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, and North caralina. It's time to hit the sports bar, and have a few drinks.

Day 3 and this is the bit that may interest you austin 7 enthusiasts. After a couple of hour of bargain hunting around the car show. It's time for the museum.

After seeing the latest American tv shows, we all got a quick look at the little green supercharged austin 7 that was donated to the wheels through time museum.

And here it is.

[attachment=1198]

[attachment=1199]

[attachment=1200]

[attachment=1201]
[attachment=1202]

The museum have signs up not to touch the exhibited.

But we are in luck, my guide just happens to be a lad called andy. From no less than Derby uk. A brilliant and helpfull chap, but he did stop at the request of can we remove the nosecone for a better look at the supercharger.

yes The car is supercharged. But it's on the front of the engine. And hard to see what type it is.

It's not a Cozette though.

[attachment=1203]
Excellent stuff Tony. Keep it coming!
Entertaining stuff Tony. Do keep us posted with more stories about your travels. Take care in them thar hills (you have seen Deliverance, haven't you...)
Great story of your trip Tony - I hope we get to hear about the return leg and Hersey as well please!

My sister and I worked in a Vintage Car museum in Strasburg Virginia for a whole summer in 1988 - we stayed with the owners in their Log Cabin which was deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I worked the restoration shop and my sister at the soda bar and museum - she was 13 and I was 15. The owners were customers of my father (from 'Austin Seven Centre' days) and although they had stayed with us in Bristol two times I find it extraordinary that they looked after us for 6 weeks! I am still in touch with them today.

Keep the pictures coming they are bring back some great memories (and accents!!).

p.s. Their Museum was called 'Bob and Peg's Vintage Tin' and had a big collection of interesting vehicles including a Swallow 2-Seater and an Opal.
hi all,

thanks for the responce.

and R.

i just had to check up on strasburg, as there is a museum in strasburg PA we go to every now and again. its  a railway museum though, but with some stunning anh huge trains in it.

which reminds me, on the way back up the country we wanted to nip into blackdog salvage. from the programs. i noticed roanoke have there own transport museum, so we had a look round for a couple of hours. for us the museum wasnt the most interesting. a bit sterile. but out back they backed onto the railway. and had a stunning streamliner.

pics to follow. tony.

[attachment=1213]

[attachment=1214]
I'm guessing the green Austin is supposed to be a replica of the car that Malcolm Campbell broke records in at Daytona?

Autocar article on 100mph Austin
Hi,

Yes I'm putting it down as a replica, it looks to be built on a left hand drive chassis. With either an American or export engine, as the part numbers are not our usual.
Notice the replica body plate (spec 2). I take it that's special 2. I wonder what happend to special1. and if it is another cam le replica.

The blower has a standar zenith 26va side draught carb fitted.

There are no brakes, backplates etc fitted to the front, and check the dogleg on the rod for the rear brake.

It looks to be mainly 1936 to 1939 parts. The surprise for me is the handbrake. Being pre 1930 uncoupled.

Tony.

[attachment=1215]
Wonderful story, Tony. Forgive my neophyte eyes, but the fixing for the head appears to be bolts rather than studs fastened by nuts. Is this unusual?

Erich
(01-11-2017, 11:55 AM)austin Wrote: I'm guessing the green Austin is supposed to be a replica of the car that Malcolm Campbell broke records in at Daytona?

Autocar article on 100mph Austin

Except Malcom Campbell did not drive Yellow Canary at Daytona.
Black Art Enthusiast