The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Worm
A job I've never done, but is it possible to remove the worm gear from a steering column and replace it with another one?
I suspect that the worm blank was fitted to the shaft and then machined. I removed a worm once and tried to fit to a shaft-- dismal failure-- impossible to re align.
I agree with Ken.
I had a feeling that might be the case. Just thought I'd check.
Having never looked that closely at my 1934 A7 steering box, I'm not sure if the Seven worm is attached to the shaft in the same way as those on the Bishop Cam boxes fitted to MG J, K, P, N, TA, TC, Morris 8's and others - new worms are available for MG's in 3 ratios. The second page of this article describes how to remove the worm from the shaft in Bishop Cam boxes, though I've never done it.

.png   Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 21.31.22.png (Size: 557.54 KB / Downloads: 169)

.png   Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 21.31.41.png (Size: 421.17 KB / Downloads: 167)
What year of steering box are you working on Alan, the earlier spiked type or the hourglass?
Regards,
Robert.
The early type
The earlier spiked type has the worm machined, hardened, ground etc and is then spiked onto the shaft with the thrust washer. Then the spikes are machined flush. I always check the spikes are not cracked when rebuilding a box by tapping with a small chisel and hammer. 
   If they are cracked or missing, the repair that I have done is to chop the shaft higher up and machine a new end with new spikes, silver solder together, replace worm and spike it over as described above. 
   Hope this is of help.