The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Front hub removal separation
(26-10-2017, 07:15 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: I’m in Basingstoke and have spares. Same comment about the phone

Hi Derek

I don't have the grey book you refer to unfortunately, so can't locate your tel no.

Do you keep these hub pullers, if so, may I buy one from you? If you do, could I collect tomorrow?

regards

Arthur

01273 843749

art@spitfireart.com
Have left my number on your phone
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Old thread, but I'm just disassembling a front hub and the outer has got stuck a little askew after using Austin puller . I previously heated and released the grease point so knew it was 'free' before. It now is seized in when I try to remove. Does one have to remove that grub screw in case it catches on something? What else could be stopping release? Caught splitpin somewhere? It is all completely free from the big rear bearing.
Yes, the 'grub' screw will stop it coming off, you need to remove it before starting the dismantling.
Push the outer hub back on, remove the screw and then the hub will come off.
thankyou.
wish I'd taken it out when I took it out the first time! put it back in so it wouldn't get lost...
The easy way to remove the nut is to put a suitable socket on on it, tapping it on gently with a hammer if neccessary. It takes no great effort to shear a split pin which will be replaced with new anyway on reassembly.
Hub probably stuck with gasket cement sometimes putting in very hot water will do the trick?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
ok, so now the other one has come off in a textbook manner (I note Woodrow say take the grease nut out in an offhand way, but not in a 'make damn sure you take the thing out otherwise you will regret it' sort of way which would have been more helpful) I can see that the offending article had wedged and helped to pull the rear carrier off in a similar way to the second part of using the hub puller with wheel nuts on/central nut removed.
So I now have skewiff outer carrier, grease thingie still seized and gentle mallet has not done anything to redress because its skewiff. Do I pull it back on with wheel nuts to relieve the seizure... which I presume is on the edge of the bearing?
I haven't had any difficulty in removing the front hub by removing the split pin through the holes provided and then undoing the nut with a socket. Indeed, if someone has butchered the grub screw that the grease nipple usually screws into, so that it wont come out, then this is the only way of getting the hub onto the bench for remedial work. My first Seven had the 'butchered screw' problem both sides, and my present one had it on the nearside. Yes. I suppose that one could drill the grub screw out 'in situ' but there is a danger of getting it wrong and damaging the hub beyond repair.

I also have managed to fit the new split pin and bend the legs over. One has to make sure that the legs are the right length so that they are within the diameter of the end of the hub and then bend the outer leg up over the end of the stubaxle and push the inner one in as far as convenient. They are easily removed with the aid of a pair of fine nosed pliers and a suitable pin punch.
-oOo-
Sorry JonE, you were posting whilst I was composing my own post.. What i would do, if the outer bearing has cocked over, is to reassemble the hub, remove the split pin and nut and, with the wheel nuts in place, draw the whole hub (both inner and outer parts) with the proper hub puller and then separate it all on the bench.
The front hub won't come off until you remove the grease "grub" screw!
Leave the hub puller screwed tight on the outer hub, unscrew the inner part of the puller fully to release pressure and hammer on the end of the puller with a copper mallet to get the outer hub back into position. Then remove the grub screw.