The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identy of austin "five" car
Hi Friends

I am new this group, wanted to inform you that
We have purchsed a Ausin"five" convertible car which was
Originally supplied by company "make toto King of Hyderabad state in India.

I am suprised to know that their is no
Austin car model "five" is mention.

As per the dash board technical plate
Its a austin 5 car and year of mfg as per
owner is 1918. Engine No. of this cat 51410
and chassis no. Is 51585.

I have applied for certificate to british
Car musium but they even dont have any
details of this car.

I will appriciate if any body identify
whats this car model is so its easy
For me get spares and give life to this
Better car
Can you post a photograph of the car, perhaps?
Moved to forum chat.
Agree with Hugh a photo of the car and or the identity plates you describe will be best to get an answer.
All the best.
I suspect it's going to look something like this Clive Barker photo of a 1912 Austin 15hp Wellington - chassis number is 5997 and engine 6107 - this car was exported to Australia when new and returned to the UK in 2002 - they're not the original wheels / tyres. Given the intervention of the first world war between 1914 and 1918, I doubt if Austin's 1918 production was much different. Assuming it is like this then spares are going to be incredibly difficult if not impossible to find. It begs the question, how many of these cars are left in the world?  

Jeff.

.png   Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 19.29.01.png (Size: 1,012.97 KB / Downloads: 650)
(26-10-2017, 07:37 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: I suspect it's going to look something like this which is a 1912 Austin 15hp. Given the intervention of the first world war between 1914 and 1918, I doubt if Austin's 1918 production was much different. 

Jeff.

According to the figures in Wyatt, Austin didn't produce any cars in 1918 the last 15hp being made in 1915. They also made 24 50hp 6 cylinder cars between 1911 and 1913 - but no 5s.

Steve
There's some remarkable stuff about the Nizam of Hyderabad's cars here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/46...iages.html

Sadly, nothing about the Austin.
As has been said, a photograph is needed
My Vintage Austin Register guru is unable to help, but wonders whether it was a vehicle made by The Austin Automobile Co, Michigan, USA, who built vehicle from 1902 to 1920.
Just in case the enquirer hasn't seen our responses I've emailed him requesting photos. Intriguing!
Photos from Facebook.

So, a Seven not a 5, and 1928 not 1918; I think it was in Seven Years with Samantha that Clive Ball mentions an Austin Ten in India, the owner claiming it was so called because it would carry ten people, so this is presumably a five-seater!