The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night driving
Hello All
I didn't want to hi-jack Stuart's post on "time to convert to 12v" but am interested in your experiences of night driving with the 6v system.
There have unfortunately been a couple of very serious accidents within the MCC at night with moderns ploughing into the back of vintage vehicles.
I have LED headlights but still not sure I am getting the best light.
What exact make and model of headlights are others using (there are so many out there). Does it make a difference which model of reflector is used in the headlights.
Do some of you also provide additional rear lights (flashing) and are they legal for vehicles travelling over 25MPH.
Many thanks.
Adrian.
I run with a completely standard 6 volt system on my RM; the 6w bulbs in the standard Lucas 582 rear lights provide ample brightness to be seen - they are brighter than many more modern cars on the road - and coupled with decent reflectors there is no good reason why anyone should 'plough into the back of me', except for lack of attention, and no amount of illumination can cater for that! The standard dynamo can't keep up with consumption at night, but I have no problems running for up to two hours at night without any signs of the battery running down.The only problem I have is with the headlights which fade into oblivion when a modern comes up behind ...
Two of my sevens have LED lamps all round. The headlamps are fitted with the Seven Workshop "standard" 6.5inch reflectors (one with pilot light, one without). I believe these were originally intended for scooters or mopeds, but I may be wrong.

Whilst these provide a much better forward light, the biggest advantage of LEDs, to my mind, is the improved performance of tail and brake lights, which hopefully alerts any sleepy modern driver and prevents a rear end shunt.

As regard whether additional flashing lights are legal or not, I think we worry too much about legality at the expense of being seen clearly at night (and during the day). In fact, having read an article in the latest FBHVC News, it seems that most LED headlights ( and flashing indicators) are in themselves illegal, as they cannot meet the specified wattage for these applications. However, legality looses out to visibility as far as I'm concerned and I have no intention of reverting to filament lamps.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I also have 6V LED rear lights which are very bright.
It seems to me that at night there is a real danger of cars coming from behind misjudging the distance.
The A7 is so small and the rear lights may well be on each end of the number plate so not at the full width.
The result is that the car appears to be much further away because the lights are close together.
Jim
My cars are the same set up as AustinWood's and I agree exactly with what he is saying about misjudging distances.
(26-10-2017, 02:11 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I run with a completely standard 6 volt system on my RM; the 6w bulbs in the standard Lucas 582 rear lights provide ample brightness to be seen - they are brighter than many more modern cars on the road - and coupled with decent reflectors there is no good reason why anyone should 'plough into the back of me', except for lack of attention, and no amount of illumination can cater for that! The standard dynamo can't keep up with consumption at night, but I have no problems running for up to two hours at night without any signs of the battery running down.The only problem I have is with the headlights which fade into oblivion when a modern comes up behind ...

Ditto.

I don't often find it necessary to drive more than an hour or so in the dark in my A7 anyway... in the south of England I'd actively avoid doing so.
(26-10-2017, 01:05 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: Hello All
I didn't want to hi-jack Stuart's post on "time to convert to 12v" but am interested in your experiences of night driving with the 6v system.
There have unfortunately been a couple of very serious accidents within the MCC at night with moderns ploughing into the back of vintage vehicles.
I have LED headlights but still not sure I am getting the best light.
What exact make and model of headlights are others using (there are so many out there). Does it make a difference which model of reflector is used in the headlights.
Do some of you also provide additional rear lights (flashing) and are they legal for vehicles travelling over 25MPH.
Many thanks.
Adrian.

Hello Adrian, I'm with Rick on this one. The 'Seven Workshop' reflectors I understand are modern motorcycle replacements and seem to have excellent optical characteristics (although Dave Mann would argue that original 'Lucas Graves' reflectors as fitted to the RN are even better). The Seven Workshop reflectors fitted with the APF LED lamps from Peter in Lincoln give an excellent light output on a par with some moderns.
I have also fitted Peter's LED units to ST38 'pork pie' rear lamps and the output is excellent - indeed one customer thought the side light was the brake light until he saw the brake light illuminated!
Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire
Stuart
I have LED rear lights in Lucas D type lamps. They are very effective, in daylight or at night. However on the odd occasion when I do have to venture out in the dark I strap a warning triangle to the spare wheel which seems to confuse drivers sufficiently that they slow down to have a good look. I also clip a bicycle flashing rear LED lamp to the luggage carrier. The "Cat Eye" brand are very good and can be seen from quite a distance. I have also considered buying one of those reflectors on a stick that cyclists use. Anything that attracts another driver's attention is always a good thing. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Safety-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Flag-Fold-Out-Safety-Reflector-590-RE831/122535168877?epid=1134437105&hash=item1c87aa4b6d:g:c2oAAOSwnsZZiH4B)

The headlamps are 6v with normal incandescent bulbs and compared to a modern are frankly quite useless unless you're driving in pitch dark and your eyes have accustomed to the dark. To be honest the sidelights on my Merc are brighter. Ideally a rear window blind is necessary to prevent being blinded by someone following  behind in a modern. I have found opening the windscreen helps. (not much fun in the winter though!)

I have considered going to 6v LED headlamps but my reflectors & lenses are Marchal and I'd have to change them in order to get compatible bulbs. In the interest of economy I make do, although if it was for regular night time use I'd go for LED every time.
I have fitted a small bicycle rear light, one of those that has a single very bright red LED, on a redundant screw, low down on the offside rear mudguard.

It is not very obvious, until it is on, and then it is uncomfortably bright if you get too close.

I hope the following modern thinks "it's one of those pesky cyclists - slow and wobbly" and acts accordingly.

I have also stuck a large, cheap, roadside size reflecting triangle on the spare wheel.

Horrible, and very obtrusive.

But I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of cars that stay well back, even where there is room to overtake.

I would much rather be seen than squashed.

Simon
(26-10-2017, 05:07 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: I have fitted a small bicycle rear light, one of those that has a single very bright red LED, on a redundant screw, low down on the offside rear mudguard.

It is not very obvious, until it is on, and then it is uncomfortably bright if you get too close.

I hope the following modern thinks "it's one of those pesky cyclists - slow and wobbly" and acts accordingly.

I have also stuck a large, cheap, roadside size reflecting triangle on the spare wheel.

Horrible, and very obtrusive.

But I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of cars that stay well back, even where there is room to overtake.

I would much rather be seen than squashed.

Simon

I fitted a broom handle with a couple of bungees onto the spare wheel carrier of the RK with a cycle LED rear light at each end. The batteries are still going after 8 months! I use them in non flash/flicker during the day. I haven't ventured out at night yet!
David