The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to go 12volt?
(25-10-2017, 10:21 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: I have a good battery, all round LED’s, std Dynamo set at 2amp charge at 30 mph all lighting on. No problem in 2k plus miles on Euro tour. Why do you need 12v unless you want a all sing , all dancing music centre.

How do you charge your phone Derek? And a Sat nav? I'm at the stage where I can go to 12v or 6v, both will need dynamo work and both will need a regulator, so I'm wondering which way to go.
The late Sevens especially lend themselves to the excellent LED conversion now available and the headlight quality on six volts is very adequate. We covered over three thousand miles through Europe in our 1937 Opal this summer and ran for many miles with full lights on -- common European practice and we need to be seen, rather like the bikers.
I would certainly add my voice to those who advocate staying with six volts -- LEDs will allow an easier life for the Dynamo with minimum impact on overall originality.

Charles
(26-10-2017, 09:26 AM)Charles Levien Wrote: We covered over three thousand miles through Europe in our 1937 Opal this summer and ran for many miles with full lights on -- common European practice and we need to be seen, rather like the bikers.

We have had very similar experience on similar trips Charles. Our Norwegian trip necessitated a legal requirement for headlights at all times - this was pre LED and the 6v Mag. dynamo provided lights throughout, I had been quite concerned before the trip that it would not and carried a fully rebuilt one under the seat.

Same car last year was running the LED headlight/rear/ indicators, all the time so as to "be seen" and with the reduced need, the charge rate was able to be wound down.

There are many beneficial options these days for us all to take advantage of - if we see the need.

I will report back on the use of the 6v alternator, once I have fitted it - it will appeal to a good number I am certain.
For sat-nav & phone charging I use a standard cigar lighter socket fitted in the seat base out of sight. Works fine on standard 6volt system.
Jim
(26-10-2017, 10:15 AM)AustinWood Wrote: For sat-nav & phone charging I use a standard cigar lighter socket fitted in the seat base out of sight. Works fine on standard 6volt system.

I can vouch for that as well Jim!
The general standard of driving around here is so poor now that I fear for my life every time I go out - vintage car or no. However I don't have any doubts that I can be seen (if they are looking). My 6v A7 dynamo was expensively but professionally overhauled decades ago and has never missed a beat since. I can't help wondering how often most owners contemplating 'upgrades' really drive after dark? For sure there are stalwarts among us who do, but many nowadays arrive at rallies with their cars on trailers, in which case it becomes somewhat academic...
Tongue 
Many thanks for the responses. As there doesn't seem to be any overriding reason for choosing 12v over 6v (or vice versa) so I will await the release of the 6v unit and if it proves reliable that is the one I will choose.
Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire
Stuart
(26-10-2017, 10:11 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I will report back on the use of the 6v alternator, once I have fitted it

Well, it fits perfectly.

The threads into the housing end are 1/4 BSW as apposed to 1/4 BSF but changing the bolts was not an issue. The thread into the top for the distributor clamp is 1/4 bsf as apposed to 1/4 bsw but this again was simply rectified by swapping a bolt over.

It is incredibly quiet, very easy to wire up and immediately produced 16amps of charge - I need to take it on a long run to see what happens when the battery reaches fully charged but I am expecting it to either reduce the charge or show no charge. I am also interested to see how long it takes to bring the battery back up to charge.

The cut-out is effectively redundant, to do this you must remove the green wires from F2 and place them into A. The Yellow wire remains in the D terminal as before.

I have suggested a few aesthetically pleasing changes (paint everything black, replace cross-head screws with slot etc. and, although I was not sure about the connection block initially, it does not stand out once fitted) which should make it quite unobtrusive. Time will tell if it proves reliable but I am informed that the technology inside is already proven over a long period.

I asked about making a similar one for the mag. engine and they have promised to think on that, depending how this model sells.

I have all my own cars currently running fine on properly rebuilt dynamos that work very well but this one seems a very sensible alternative, and certainly comparative on pricing - if you need one!

I will continue to report back after use...
I have fitted to my car a gadget proposed by Ian McGowan ( I think) that converts 6v to 12v I have
used it a few times , but use a couple of back up , made for the job, 6v battery units mostly , because I had them. Sat nav on all day on Euro tour.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Sounds like the 6v version may be the way to go, particularly after readig the guff about the legality of LEDs