The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to go 12volt?
As the restoration of the Pearl is about to commence I have been giving thought to converting to 12volt especially as an alternator in a 'look alike' body is now available.
The advantages seem to be: no cut-out required, readily availability of components (bulbs, wiper motors etc), doubling the voltage halve the current so wiring requirements are reduced and ancillaries could work better.
However I have yet to identify any disadvantages other than originality. I would appreciate any observations.
Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire
Stuart
Hang fire on going to 12v just yet Stuart.

This is ‘the’ 6v prototype of the same make.

If it fits and works they will put it into production very quickly.

I personally think this product will have more draw than the 12v unit originally produced.
Hey Stuart - I think if we can have a 6 volt alternator that would be the best way.
Much cooler than going onto 12 volt.
Cannot understand why the 6volt one was not developed first.
Hope we can eventually get a 6 volt unit for the early cars.
Great lighting ect without sacrificing the vintage benefits of 6 volt as fitted to the car.
Will make it a very easy "no brainer" for the mass of us who are on 6 volt
All sounds very exciting.
If I was starting with Sevens now I'd stick with 6 volts, the availability of LEDs means there is no need for 12 volts. The only advantage of 12 volts was demonstrated today with the failure of the modern car battery, I just took one from one of the Sevens.
I have a good battery, all round LED’s, std Dynamo set at 2amp charge at 30 mph all lighting on. No problem in 2k plus miles on Euro tour. Why do you need 12v unless you want a all sing , all dancing music centre.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I could not agree more Derek, I have always run my Sevens on 6V, completely standard system, unmodified but ensuring everything (especially connections) is in good condition, and in 35 years motoring I can honestly say I have never had a problem. I start to feel like a broken record at times, these cars have survived 90 years as they are, just because you can modify something does not mean that you need to or should. I believe half the perceived problems come from the days when your average Seven was scrap yard transport for many, pressed into service whilst effectively clapped out, poorly maintained held, together with bits of string, wire and tape then expected to do things the makers never intended. But each to their own I guess, I am just dismayed how new owners often are sucked into all the folk law, BS and hype that surrounds Austin sevens, as many of us know they are incredibly robust and versatile little beasts, which is why so many have survived for us to play with today, it is a shame more is not made of that.
Black Art Enthusiast
I converted my Ruby to 12V, back on the road in 2015, and I did this a year or two (or three) before, I did it properly, had the dynamo converted & re-wound, solid state regulator, fitted a 12V wiper motor (MT type exactly the same just different coil), fuel gauge & sender (I managed to get a NOS Land Rover series instrument, just changed the face over, needle, etc., identical). I left the starter at 6V and fitted a 12V horn. 

The big driver for 12V for me was the fitting of halogen headlight bulbs - my car needs to see in the dark - but given the advances with the LED bulbs, knowing what I know now I would have stuck with 6V, it would have saved quite a bit of work. I did run with the halogen bulbs for a short time, the re-built dynamo (CDRC) was well up to the job, but I now have the LED headlight bulbs so the whole system is much less demanding!

I got a nice square 12V battery to fit the battery box, so that wasn't a problem, but a bit limited to choice and a replacement might not be so easy to source when the time comes.

With my latest restoration, a Swallow, I am umming and arring about converting to 12V, the Swallow only has the dynamo, horn & starter, along with the lights of course, vacuum wiper & no fuel gauge to think about, so a much simpler system, I think I am better off being 6V with the new alternator. However, if the new alternator doesn't make it into production, I will go 12V, as I don't have the correct regulator and the dynamo will need re-building, so a new "all-in" item will be more cost-effective.
(25-10-2017, 10:56 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I could not agree more Derek, I have always run my Sevens on 6V, completely standard system, unmodified but ensuring everything (especially connections) is in good condition, and in 35 years motoring I can honestly say I have never had a problem. I start to feel like a broken record at times, these cars have survived 90 years as they are, just because you can modify something does not mean that you need to or should. I believe half the perceived problems come from the days when your average Seven was scrap yard transport for many, pressed into service whilst effectively clapped out, poorly maintained held, together with bits of string, wire and tape then expected to do things the makers never intended. But each to their own I guess, I am just dismayed how new owners often are sucked into all the folk law, BS and hype that surrounds Austin sevens, as many of us know they are incredibly robust and versatile little beasts, which is why so many have survived for us to play with today, it is a shame more is not made of that.

Excellent commentary Ian, the whole point of a driving a vintage car is that it is a vintage car - if you want to modernize it then why not just buy a modern car.

Cheers, Tony.
In modern unaware traffic I like to be seen. Not just at nighttime, but in poor visibility. Compromises need to made on occasion.

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Why can't you be seen Roly? I use my cars regularly in our biggest city, I will choose the seven over the modern for many journeys, I have no qualms about safety, and over the years have had no more near misses in the seven than in the modern. Maybe I am simply a confident, positive driver, I have no fear of motorways, traffic or trucks, I feel you get noticed far more in an old car than in a faceless tin box.
Black Art Enthusiast