The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition light/charging issue
Apologies, this is an A7 newbie question!  On my '33 AP Tourer, the ignition warning light now stays on, though dims a bit when engine revved.  What is the culprit likely to be?  I have seen "cut out" mentioned in relation to this issue, but what/where?
As it seems to be working a bit the first thing to check is the dynamo brushes.
Jim
It may well be worth a check on the dynamo commutator. With the engine and ignition switched off and whilst checking the brushes get a clean rag with a little petrol on it and wipe over the commutator to remove any oil or carbon deposits.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(04-12-2019, 05:00 PM)John Mason Wrote: It may well be worth a check on the dynamo commutator. With the engine and ignition switched off and whilst checking the brushes get a clean rag with a little petrol on it and wipe over the commutator to remove any oil or carbon deposits.

John Mason.

Or meths?
Until the cutout operates the light responds to the difference between battery and dynamo voltage. The fact that it dims indicates the dynamo is working weakly. Seven charging system is a common source of problems, often stemming from overloading. The maximum charge should not exceed 8-10 amps on the ammeter, lights off. As advised cleaning the commutator (and leaving cover off immediately after to ventilate) first step. Worn or stuck brushes also common. With a mirror can establish if have reached end of their travel. There have been very many posts available thru Search and which explain all you need to know and more. Hopefully the system is original with no undocumented mods.
(If tinkering it is important not to prod the cutout so that it operates and is left operated)
It is well worth the effort to master the very basic Seven charging sytem. There are several variants and mixes of which can confuse. Info on Club sites.
Thanks all! I have a copy of the Seven book.....the thick softback one, but there is a tendency to assume the reader is more familiar with the basic layout than I am!
Whereabouts are you based in Kent Ferg?
I am in Ashford, Robert.
I'm only sixteen miles away. Ping me a PM and maybe you could have a run over.
Most Austin and derived publications manage to make the very elementary Seven system obscure. The Charging Refresher article on Cornwall site and the  Ruby circuit diagram by John Cornforth on the Dorset site should prove vastly more helpful.
(The Ruby circuit is slightly different from previous)