The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator
I've ordered a Accuspark Dynamator alternator for my 1931 Austin 7 RN to complement the Accuspark electronic ignition already purchased which works very well.
Has anyone got any experience with these items?
I've got a multitude of little charging problems and this seems the easiest solution, crossed fingers!  Huh
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
I put a 12v one on my RP this year. only done a couple of hundred miles but it was really good not to worry about the lights going out driving in the monsoon conditions at night down country roads recently. So far very pleased.
Barry - there are a lot of threads on here on both items, which work brilliantly but are inexpensive so you can't rely on them being as well made or long-lasting as originals, perhaps. Carry spare items in the event of failure as they have more technology inside which can't be fixed at roadside.
Hi Jon,
Good advice. However I do get concerned aboiut having to carry spares because the 'new technology' may be unreliable. It being built down to a price to make it attractive. Why not sourse a high quality but probably more expenxive unit and get the added cumfort of reliability and not needing to load the car with spares. Same goes for the distributor. Win win! Yes this has been discussed before but it keeps raising its head. Just seems a no brainer.

Paul N-M
I've adopted a N.O.S. 25D Lucas distributor and sourced a pair of cheap chinese trigger units to convert it, reasoning that those are the only bits that will fail. I sent my dynomator back before fitting because of play, but the experience with the accuspark distributors was too enticing and trying to improve worn Austin 7 distributors is expensive to do it properly.
Hi Barry,

Key the word 'Dynamator' into the search box at the top right of this page and you'll find all the previous threads relating to the accuspark unit you've ordered and the problems many owners have encountered - in particular see the posts about 'gear wear and reliability' and the solutions found to remedy those problems.