The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
front hub flanges
I know that levering the hub flanges is frowned upon as it will distort the flat sealing plane of the hub.
What is the cause of potentially the opposite effect, where the outer edge gets shiny from flatting, but the inner part of the face is distorted down towards the area of the bearings?
If I get flat perimeter (and perimeters of the holes for the wheel studs), is that suitable to use?
As discussed recently the two halves of the hub - the Felt Housing and the Hub proper should grip the large bearing (both front and rear hubs) so if either are 'belled' the grip is lost and the hub can move in and out.

This will also loosen the bearing outer ring in the Hub allowing it to creep and wear the housing.

Both parts need to be flat and in good order for a proper assembly.  I am sure many Austin 7 hubs are loose which is alright for light use.
Odd that dished but an inner at rear may have had claw puller applied etc. Anything is possible over the ages. I have not compared a myriad hubs but there may be a considerable variation in depth, and some assembled with no gasket so the flange distorted. Some flanges may have been skimmed reducing the depth. 
The flange has to seal the grease, clamp the bearing, ensure the drum and wheel run true. If all that is acheived despite    some dish, fine. Silicone sealant sorts many sealing problems. Shims can be cut to pack bearing rings.
If the Austin hub puller is used on the front hub without removing the axle nut (if could happen) with the three screws in place in an attempt to pull off the rear bearing, the flanges could be belled (or dished if you like).  

Sealed bearings solve the grease loss problem.
It is an outer, yes. And I can see Tony's reasoning for how. Wasn't me!
Bearing clamping I now see is the main issue, so I'll find a better one, otherwise it introduces too many other variables of bodge.
Hi Jon

If you are stuck you can always clamp the bearing with Loctite.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks. What I may try and do is see if its possible to press back to a standard shape in the vice.
Or get a decent replacement.
Howard, what a suggestion, you are a naughty boy and there’s me thinking you were an engineer
Hi Zeto

I will consider myself suitably chastised!

In my defence I did say “if you are stuck” And Loctite do make some excellent products specifically for this situation (Loctite 641).

Cheers

Howard
Been sorting out some flanges myself for a couple of back axles. After various failed attempts I  made up the jig below. Still needs a bit of "persuasion" and a little "persevance" but end results are not too bad.