The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Verdigris removal from chrome
I've tried the tinfoil/silver paper trick, what it actually does is adhere to the verdigris, which is the expansive corrosion product of the chrome and hide it.

You want to remove the corrosion, the damage to the chrome is often very small and can sometimes not be seen when cleaned well.
I have just tried Harpic, Yes Harpic toilet cleaner, the Verdigris just started to disappear. I think it must be the hydrocloric acid it contains must be the active ingredient. Will let you know how it works on the bigger areas.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
    THarpic does has benefits, just five minutes and the verdigris is gone. Ok chrome not that good as stated previously it will need doing later.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I'm not a chemist or a metallurgist but I wonder does hydrochloric acid contain chlorine ions like that there road salt, or are bleach and steel ok? If not, be sure to be careful where the rinse water goes!
Derek
I am definitely not a chemist or metallurgist, but I believe I am right in saying that some chrome plating is porous - hence 'pitting' can occur. I think this may depend upon the underlying metal base, which can allow impurities to 'surface'. Hence this is why most decent chrome platers are looking for as near a clean and perfect surface as can be achieved before plating.
Once pitting is removed (by whatever method), it is not a bad idea to give any polished chrome surface a further polish with a wax-based polish, to prevent unnecessary ingress of H2O...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish