The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never mind Brexit, what happened with "Brentry"
One hesitates to post this - but go on then, I will.
On the 1st of January 1973, the day we joined the "Common Market", as a celebration, Lord Montague arranged for four car clubs - the Vintage Sports Car Club, Veteran Car Club, Vintage Motorcycle Club, and the Historic Commercial Vehicle Club - to organise a 67-car "Drive into Europe". By some miracle (OK, my wife's father was a big-wig in British Rail) I obtained sponsorship from Sealink and (more string-pulling) four days off work - with pay. However, things were not entirely straightforward, and the four-day holiday turned out to be just as well for, on the preceding Saturday, the car was a pile of bits in Mike Hurst's garage in Great Longstone. This state of disassembly had been caused by me asking a young friend, Philip Muzalewski, to drive the Chummy back at night after a freezing cold November driving test at Silverstone. Unfortunately, on a country lane, he didn't see a wide strip of ice across the road and the car snapped sideways, spun round and turned over. Philip was badly shaken and suffered acid burns from the shattered battery, but was otherwise intact. I was driving in front of him, in the warmth of a just mobile Morris Minor, together with Mike Costigan, and we saw, in the mirror, the Chummy lights change from white to red to white - and then, crunch, bang, nothing. So, after some difficulties, expense and urgent body and suspension repairs, the Seven was just about ready for reassembly. We started on the Saturday morning with one continuous work run of 48 hours - and it was only when Philip said, "Which way do you turn a spanner to tighten a nut?" that I thought it best we went to bed (not together, of course). The job was finally completed rather too close to the deadline, at around midnight on the 5th, and then it was straight down to Horse Guards parade to be seen off by ....Ted Heath....
At this point I was, to put it mildly, exhausted, and the rest of the trip remains something of a blur. However, one amusing incident stays in my mind for, halfway across the channel, the traction engine had to be fired up so that it could drive off under its own power. As a result, the vehicle deck filled up with thick brown smoke, to leave a surprisingly clear patch about 8-feet deep - fine for the cars, but just sufficiently shallow to put the traction engine driver on instruments.
I wonder if there will be a "Drive out of Europe"? I somehow doubt it, but I wouldn't mind doing the route in reverse, but not on January 1st.

[Image: drive-into-europe-1973.jpg]
were you taking the countries hord of gold bars out with you on the back seat?

january 1st may also be wishful thinking, well for some of us?

i know we dont do politics on here.

but will the country fall to its knees from coming out? or by staying in?

52% of voters may bring the country to its knees, when corbin gets his way?

even if we stay in, camron only gave us the vote. because he wouldnt sign a bad deal with EU. so when we stay in, is it sign a bad deal or else.

either way we could be knackered.

TONY, you may need a YOYO for the next trip.

tony.
Leaving aside Brexit and its complications - I wondered who would comment on the rear springs. Of course, a new pair had just been fitted (one damaged in the accident) and the spring man got the camber wrong - but, my goodness, how that car handled. Other things (rather minor) amiss? Can you spot them?
(11-11-2019, 12:01 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:  Other things (rather minor) amiss? Can you spot them?

I'd have to say that beige leather jacket is best left in the 1970's.

Aside from that a lovely story

Charles
(11-11-2019, 12:22 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:01 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:  Other things (rather minor) amiss? Can you spot them?

I'd have to say that beige leather jacket is best left in the 1970's. Aside from that a lovely story.  Charles
I have a pile of old jackets - but not the leather one, thank goodness. However, I have to say that the hair and beard are still very much in vogue amongst certain A7 "owners". They keep you warm on cold nights in a heaterless car.
What a great story. Looks like the starting handle and the windscreen wiper might have gone "missing in action" during the repair works. IMO, the 30/31 tourers have a nice combination of practicality and style; but then I am obviously biased on this as I own one too  Smile
Looks to be a 1929 nosecone too!
(11-11-2019, 08:58 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Looks to be a 1929 nosecone too!
Well spotted; it might be. The car is B2/1382  with engine M119113. On stripping the engine, apart from the cylinder head, it had obviously never been apart before. However, the starting handle - for a reason I cannot remember, is missing.

(11-11-2019, 08:52 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote: What a great story. Looks like the starting handle and the windscreen wiper might have gone "missing in action" during the repair works. IMO, the 30/31 tourers have a nice combination of practicality and style; but then I am obviously biased on this as I own one too  Smile
Spot on. Yes, although it lacks that "charm" of the earlier models and might be described as the most prosaic of the vintage type, it was a really practical car - I'd buy it back in a heartbeat. Still one more "odd" thing to find...
Yes, the young lady is standing on a box or is very tall.(completely irrelevant of course)

And the chummy has later wheels.
(11-11-2019, 11:25 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Yes, the young lady is standing on a box or is very tall.(completely irrelevant of course)

And the chummy has later wheels
The old Joke Dave, "Who was that lady I saw you with last night?"  "That was no lady. That was my wife!"
There's a biscuit-tin joke in there somewhere as well, but we'll leave that to one side for the moment.
Yes, Annette is standing on a box provided by the Britsh Rail photographer.
Well spotted on the wheels; I think I might have borrowed them from somebody - I hope I returned them. Still one more non-standard item to find....