The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'26 Chummy
Greetings to Yonder Emerald Isle from the Colonies

Dad & I are busy with the '26 Chummy, he's done a sterling job on rebuilding the motor & box for it, incredibly after nearly 94 years, it's still a matching number car. The engine number 35783 is also on the crank, rods, flywheel & block.

Right now we're busy with the trim and have hit a snag on the door handles. It appears that in the past some genius sheared the end off the thread on the square bar and so to hold the handle onto the latch they peened the remnants of the thread over and clinched the lock-n-handle together. At least the handle is still there.

OK, any ideas on how to fix it properly - we really don't want to damage anything, and I'm a bit concerned about heat as the handle looks like German Silver - we're considering cutting the remains of the thread off and then drilling and tapping the square bar for a stepped stud - smaller inside the square bar.....or are we barking up the wrong tree here ??

Aye
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_2235.JPG (Size: 83.28 KB / Downloads: 235)
.jpg   IMG_2212.JPG (Size: 77.09 KB / Downloads: 235)
.jpg   IMG_2257.JPG (Size: 88.92 KB / Downloads: 235)
.jpg   '26 Chummy Door Handle.JPG (Size: 57.16 KB / Downloads: 236)
.jpg   '26 Chummy Door Handle - damaged threads.JPG (Size: 67.56 KB / Downloads: 238)
Hi Greig

I’d go with...

Cut off the thread, drill and tap the square shank then use a bolt to hold the handle?

Cheers

Howard
Fitting a stud as you suggest would return the part to its original form. A little more trouble, but well worth it.
Greig, I think you know the answer, definitely a stepped stud, smaller diameter obviously into the square section.
I have repaired these in the past by diagonal cut through the square section, then weld on a piece of square section bar, having first screw cut the threads on the end
Thanks Gents, good suggestions all round and yes, a stepped stud is what we will do

Cheers
Greig