The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run
Another very reasonable comment similar to Jack's has been posted on the PreWarCar website by Ben Shirley as an antidote to the somewhat shrill journalist's articles and the blizzard of well meaning but uninformed comment.

I hope the London to Brighton is not damaged beyond repair.

Tony.
You and others are ignoring the fact, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, that this is the second time within the last three years that someone has died on the run. This is not uninformed or shrill, it is fact.
It may be fact that there have been two deaths, but facts, like statistics should not be left to stand on their own.

Both incidents will have had very specific circumstances - those circumstances are what will be taken into account by the powers that be. The coroner will no doubt give a verdict (as with the first death).

These deaths may have happened on the run, but may not be soley or in part caused by the run. I think changes will be made but do remember in the last three years over 1,000 separate starts have been made from London, plus a good number of support vehicles etc. Some of those didn't get to the end, but very few have suffered any form of trouble.

It is awful that this has happened, and terrible for the families and friends. I hate all the endless speculation that crops up, I hope common sense will prevail and we can continue to take part in this run for many years to come in as safe a way as it is possible to make a journey in a hundred year old car.
Lance, I don't understand what you are saying.People die in modern cars as well, should we stop all motoring as being too dangerous.People die in accidents doing what they enjoy, flying, rockcliming, sailing, the list is endless.
Hi Adam and Zetomagneto. I am sorry for my outburst and have calmed down since this morning. I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm frightened that the "powers that be" will stop us from using our cars freely and on the public highway and hold up these incidents as compelling justification. I love the Brighton run and for me it is one of our great institutions and like everyone else I am deeply saddened by the loss that the families of the victims must be feeling. I just think that if we keep plodding on and hoping for the best, we may get the worst.
Lance, I had a chat with an ex traffic police officer in the family a few years back.

Our discussion focused particularly on road steam and steam rollers. He said in his opinion that since nothing could be done about horses (which create at least as much bother as steam / old vehicles) we would also be safe. His view was that horses are loved by the political class (as is cycling) and the arguments for removing slow moving and dangerous unpredictable animals from the road was a very similar argument to banning vintage machinery.

We shouldn't take it for granted, we're lucky to be able to do what we do, but so long as we are sensible and responsible we'll be ok.

Anyway there's an election on and the antics of the various politicians at the moment mean that this sad affair won't remain in the public eye for more than a nanosecond.