The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Isolater......again!er!
[attachment=8144]I just bought one of those battery isolaters that clamps to the negative battery post.  The earth cable attaches to a post on the isolater.  Screwing a plastic knob in or out isolates the battery.  Simple and neat?  However on connecting mine, I had a bit of a struggle tightening the clamp on the battery post and the thing just snapped in two.  See the photos.  As you can see, there is very little "metal" where it snapped.  About 1.5 mm thick joining the teo halves.  Mechanically useless.  Electrically dangerous??  I shall not buy another.

Attached Files
.jpeg   image.jpeg (Size: 75.77 KB / Downloads: 684)
I bought one and found the assembly was loose so returned it for a {satisfactory} replacement  with no difficulty. 

They are not dear so I would think made in China.
GYes, they all seem to be the same, varying between £3 and £8 and 
I was not expecting precision engineering.  However, to me, at least the one I got is potentially hazardous.  Here is a shot of the break showing how little metal joins the two parts.  The thin grey section is the break!

Attached Files
.jpeg   image.jpeg (Size: 69.91 KB / Downloads: 541)
The break suggests die-cast zinc (mazac?) with a flash of brass coating- very weak at the best of times. 

I have three of these green knob switches in use and not had one break like that - return for a replacement !
Does look to be made from brass coated Chinesium.

Although using a Hella style master switch probably  means drilling a hole somewhere, the removable key is useful for general security as well as  preventing idiots fiddling with the switches and turning the lights on etc. when you leave your car unattended.
The Green Spark Plug Company Ltd supply a similar battery terminal switch but manufactured by DURITE which is a well known and respected brand - I suspect yours is a cheap Chinese copy.

https://www.gsparkplug.com/disconnect-ty...older.html

https://www.gsparkplug.com/battery/batte...mps-covers

Green Spark Plug also stock a wide range of much more expensive DURITE Battery Isolator Switches

https://www.gsparkplug.com/battery/isolator-switches
Yes, the metal does have the appearance of mazak and the reason I struggled fitting it was that the clamp did not seem to be being pinched properly as I tightened the bolt. Disappointing as I had purposely not bought the cheapest one. Beware!
Glad I read this I was going to order one, I shall now get one from the Green Spark Plug Co, thanks
Let me know if the Green Spark one is OK. The photos of them all look the same, but one would hope that people like Green Spark and Vehicle Wiring Products check them out before retailing.
I am with Stuart on this - all my cars are fitted with a "Red Key" switch. Since only the van can be locked, the removable key is a good deterent.

Additionaly, since the screw-down switch will only fit one battery terminal ( I'm guessing here - perhaps they are avialble for positive and negative) one is restricted as to which terminal to use.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk