The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lucas sleeved connector/terminal?
Hello. Scratching my head as I've got a few of these little connectors from the car presumably.. they are like a thin hollow cylinder of metal and you put a wire through them, splay it out over the top, then push it into something to effect the terminal end.

I'd like some more, as they seem a lot less faff than soldering bullet connectors on! And presumably, they can push into a lucas bullet block, perhaps?

Can anyone help - can't see anything on ebay... apart from one reference to some 'lucar' pack of 5 for dynamos. (They dont look quite right.)

thanks...
I think you will find they are Ripault connectors , I have some and a tool that compresses them were there is a hollow in the "bullet ", they do go inro a connector (with a lot of pressure ) and also have a tool to get them into the connector, problem with them is the "bullet" sometimes in the connector when you pull them out.
Lucas Lucar flat connectors only came in ? Late 50's early 60's?
I'd buy yourself a soldering iron and use brass bullet connectors again not period
But convenient and reasonably reliable.

Also judicially placed connector boxes can help out either
Lucas round Bakelite type boxes, with lids, or old rectangular
Bakelite PO telephone connector boxes , 4 or 8 way which take
terminal connectors with screw fixings.

Hope this helps
Bill
Based near the Scottish Border,
thanks for replies. i've got a soldering iron, its just that having something light and removeable is sometimes good. The special bullet crimp is too expensive!
This is the nearest to the old ones. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pack-Lucar-C...xyHntSZoft

Bill - its up under the Nippy dash and I've already got an earth busbar and there are few easy surfaces for more boxes! (I think I need one for the headlamp functions from N/S, O/S and switch)... but to link looms coming from back of car, and engine bay, sometimes just having a simple in line 'join' seems neat so the wiring can be as short as possible? I can't bring myself to those light, modern blue blocks which you squeeze in pliers to get a fab join!
I've bought a few of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112578040603

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
JonE
Send off for a catalogue from Vehicle Wiring Products and one from Auto Electric supplies.  They are both free and have a lot of information and a lot of bits and pieces and you will get a good education on what is available and on wire sizes.
I am pretty sure I know what you are talking about with the tubes with small hole in end that wire will poke through a bit.
If I remember correctly those things are for use on the end of wires that are being pushed into the terminals of things like the old side/rear lights.  Those terminals were just narrow strips bent round in a circle and you push the tube like bits with the wire into them.
What you are describing doing will lead to big problems in the future just pushing wire in and bending the ends over out of the other end......you realy need to solder the multi-strand in position into proper bullet connectors.  The bullet connectors come as crimp or solder type but I always solder.  A couple of hours soldering will save days of frustration in the future chasing intermitent faults.
Multi-strand ends of wire exposed to air and damp will quite quickly corrode becoming blackish looking and forming a very high resistance to electric flow.  A solder end where all the strands are "welded"  together as one mass does not allow the corrosion on each INDIVIDUAL strand and a bullet is easier to clean up than many small strands!
Also a slight smear of electrical contact grease is easy on a bullet and will keep it good for a long time.
Please do not use those "easy snap connectors" blue blocks!!!!!

Dennis
Dennis - you are right. I think I'm just going to solder them completely and put shrinkwrap stuff over the top to make 'em jointless. I want the loose wiring to be as light as possible so it stay up and invisible, but has enough slack to allow the instrument panel to flip down for fixing things.
Jon
I have wired the car into a plug and the dashboard into a socket so that removal of dash is easily achieved by just unplugging then unscrewing dash.  There is enough slack if I want to just unscrew dash and pull forward with all connections in place.  Car is a Nippy with a bit modified dash (also 12V), the metal part of dash is homemade and larger than standard to take rev counter and a couple of other switches.

Dennis