The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster Exhaust System
(25-04-2018, 08:23 PM)Smiley Wrote: You could try Alderton Garage, They stock the usual Austin Spares and I have seen them making up
Tail Pipes.
Smiley.

Thanks Smiley, I'll keep that in mind.
Regarding the expansion box used on the period and/or modern Ulsters, is there any silencing provision - baffles etc?
Chris Gould provided me with a full size drawing when I made my ulster exhaust manifold about 27 years ago. I think I still have it somewhere.
(26-04-2018, 10:14 AM)Barry Wrote: Regarding the expansion box used on the period and/or modern Ulsters, is there any silencing provision - baffles etc?

No, it's just a shell with an in pipe and an out pipe.

(26-04-2018, 01:14 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Chris Gould provided me with a full size drawing when I made my ulster exhaust manifold about 27 years ago. I think I still have it somewhere.

Kind of you to mention it Dave but Chris made me a pattern too!
Yes, Chris would supply you with the drawing for a small fee. As far as the silencer goes I made my own to original external dimensions but found it very noisy. I took the back off and made a tapered tube from inlet to outlet, fitted some stainless gauze around it and filled the space between tube and silencer can with rockwool or glassfibre. Sounds much nicer. This was with the correct shaped tailpipe and fishtail, albeit the tailpipe was in 1” copper. I gave a work colleague a lift home once, forgetting to warn him about the hot exhaust. He was confused when all his change fell out of his jacket pocket through the burnt pocket lining when he climbed out of the car. He wouldn’t let me pay for the repair. Nice chap.
Hi I kept my Ulster at the back of my shop in the city centre, used it for deliveries. I put a Pipe well drilled and tapered in the end of the exhaust pipe held by a nut and bolt, easy to remove and replace with fishtail when on the open road.
(26-04-2018, 11:02 PM)Andrew Wilson Wrote: Hi I kept my Ulster at the back of my shop in the city centre, used it for deliveries. I put a Pipe well drilled and tapered in the end of the exhaust pipe held by a nut and bolt, easy to remove and replace with fishtail when on the open road.

Robbie Watson - If you still need drawings, dimensions, please email me on ausevenoz@gmail.com    Cheers,  Bill