The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specials and DVLA
Good evening.

There have been a few special build threads recently. I was wondering how people have got on with DVLA getting the V5c updated. I have yet to start on my bodywork (I am still doing the engine and its peripherals) and should be interested in to know how things lie with DVLA and registering specials currently.

Jamie.
For my Ulsteroid quite a few years ago I went to the regional office in Peterborough and explained simply that the car had been off the road for many years and I had fitted a 'Tourer' body and it was now ready for the road. Please would they amend the V5 to show Tourer in place of Saloon. Quite how it works now I don't know but I suggest that the innocent approach without introducing unneccessary information can be sufficient to satisfy a DVLA pen-pusher. I am sure it is different now, particularly if you don't have a V5 or if the SORN has not been declared regularly. I was clear in both these respects.
Robert Leigh
Might be worth having a read of this thread http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1367&highlight=rebody
Jamie,

My car is a little more complicated, its not been on the road since the 70's and not on the DVLA records so via the club I've applied for a new V5

Good luck
Matthew
Thank you both for your replies.

Stuart. Your case does seem different. My car had been in a barn for thirty years or more. I have a V5c in my name and the car is shown as "Not taxed for on road use".

Jamie.
Jamie, at risk of teaching grandmother...are you aware of the DVLA points system in order to use your original V5 and retain the registration number?

You need to have 8 points to retain the original number and five of those points relate to the original body, so if your car was originally a saloon and building a sports style body, you have what the DVLA call a radically altered vehicle and if you are not careful, you’ll end up with a “Q” plate.

Alternatively you can go the reconstructed classic vehicle route, there’s a lot of info on the DVLA web site, if you haven’t looked already.
Am I wrong? I was under the impression that the Chassis engine and running gear is where the main points come from.
(18-10-2019, 03:29 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Jamie, at risk of teaching grandmother...are you aware of the DVLA points system in order to use your original V5 and retain the registration number?

You need to have 8 points to retain the original number and five of those points relate to the original body, so if your car was originally a saloon and building a sports style body, you have what the DVLA call a radically altered vehicle and if you are not careful, you’ll end up with a “Q” plate.

Alternatively you can go the reconstructed classic vehicle route, there’s a lot of info on the DVLA web site, if you haven’t looked already.

The 5 points for the original  body style/type only apply to monocoque based cars. For Austin Sevens and other separate chassis cars the body has zero points.  However the unmodified chassis would carry the 5 points in this case. The DVLA rules for  re-bodied cars are outlined in the thread I linked to in post #3
That was my understanding.
My apologies, I think I must be out of date!