The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering
But my point was that, when properly set up and unworn, Austin 7 steering should be fine and looking to lengthen radius arms or any other mod won't make anything any better. Who knows what has been done to your cars over the last 80 years.

After a number of people have asked, have we yet resolved whether the radius arms are correctly fitted? Until we have confirmed that, then I don't think anything else shoudl be considered. Back to basics and work through things methodically... Let us know how you get on...
step two after Hugh's advice, is the front crossmember straight and also at 90 degrees to the chassis
Assuming all is straight and tight and lovely, there's something you can try.
With the car on level ground, slacken each of the radius arm/axle nuts, then with a wrench twist each radius arm outwards a bit, and retighten the nuts. That will give you more caster, and maybe enough. If not, repeat, twisting a bit further.
I think we should define what 'outwards' means. The twist should be applied so that the top of the radius arm is slightly outwards in relation to the car, and this will mean that the bottom is slightly in.
Robert Leigh
As I said seemingly ages ago in this rather interminable discussion-

'"And if you 'rotate' the Radius Arm end casting (probably a forging) outward at the top the castor angle can be set back - 5 degrees is said to be needed but anything over 1 degree helps with stopping the car from wandering ."

Although I mentioned Caster as in sugar which probably confused everyone  Big Grin
Sorry Tony, I know you'd already said it, but I didn't think there'd been a response, so I thought to write it as a how-to.
Roger,

You are right, so far none of the exchange seems to be helping.

Thanks.
Smile 
Anyway it helped me .They were 2 for left side ,that was rectified some time ago ,was out  in workshop yesterdays morning, to get canal part vertical with a spirit level ,but had problem with twisting and tightening of nut at same time .At last I used a big pipe wrench to twist  front aksel ,then the radius arm actually twisted itself .Now it looks much better ,king pin tilted backward at top,
Mogens, glad this thread was useful to someone!!
Hi Guys. I am still working on steering and have been reading a lot inc Doug Woodrow. I am a ok engineer and am now approaching the matter as an engineer. first clearly the caster anglle has gone walkies! I have done a lot of checking and all wheel stuff so far in exellent order and no indication as to where the caster angle has gone so now I am doing my own thing as an engineer where I can revert back to standard at any time. I have a few ideas and am progressing I will get back if I get any usefull info i can pass on, I feel optimistic!!! Gibbo John

Alan Got it re the wedge reative to radious arms and that is how I see it so as posted am looking  and working to make changes that allow me to revert back to standard and as posted will keep in touch if any usefull results Gibbo  John