The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering
Hi Tony. Thanks for reply. Yep I agree there is a casting at end but only as part to assemple to the radius arm as a bolt. The front end is in very good condition as did jack up to check each wheel. I have aprox 3 degrees at best camber angle which is not enough to give adiquate trail to get a reasonable self centreing.

As in my first post I had a Swallow in bout 1954 so I know they were not as bad as so many guys relate as I had no problems re steering then, for sure brakes were just as bad as today.

I reckon there has to be at least 5 degrees camber just on an engineeing basis to get any idea of reasonable steering as the camber angle is to give trail. There must be an answer as lke said no probs with a 25 year old one!! My brother bought my swallow of me and second day left Hillingdon middlesex in the morn to go to Porlock hill he got there and got up the hilll and came back you could not do that with th steering as I have it.   John (gibbo)
Is it possible for the cups to be so worn that positions radius rods too far back? Or has some crude fix been applied and which gives wrong location? i dont suppose the cross meber can be bent abck in the middle or brakes would be affected?
Should read CASTER angle not camber as I related. John (Gibbo)

Hi Should read CASTER angle not camber as I have related. I have checked as much as I can so far and 5 degrees caster angle is about it anmything less will not give directional stability. So got to find a way to get the 5 degrees !!!

Hi Bob.Thanks for reply will get under the car and have a better look. Will need to see a breakdown of the assembly at the end of radius arms so I can check your comments but from what I can see so far is about half inch short !!! John Gibbo

Hi Can anyone show me where I can get a pictorial breakdown of the ball end assembly at end of radius arms. John gibbo
Page 25 of the PDF, page 44 of the Parts list here will give you some help..

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/PL_670F.pdf

You will see that the castings at each end of the radius arms *are* different, and not just because they are 'handed'. These castings *are* angled to impart the relevant caster angle in the axle beam.
Hi Hugh. Thanks for post I reckon only handed as that will do the job. Good to get info re the fitting at ball end and wil now look at that end more closly. gibbo  John

Hi Bob Will look and take apart Gibbo John
Sorry Gibbo, just not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying you dont think the part of the casting that goes through the axle beam *isn't* angled from the horizontal and that you think they run straight in line with the radius arms?
Hi  Hugh no you got me wrong they are angled same as pictures, but all I can see is they are handed only ie opposites. I have had a look again and cannot see any answer to getting 5 degrees caster angle other than major work ! John Gibbo
No, I think we might still talking at cross purposes here. Yes, the brackets are angled as in the diagrams, so if you are looking from the top, the part that goes through the axle beam is at an angle from the radius arm itself. However, if you look from side on, you will be able to see that the part that goes through the axlebeam is also angled upwards by a small amount. Can you see that on your radius arms? If they are fitted incorrectly on your car (believe me, they can be and that is a common fault) it will affect the steering...
Please can anyone put numbers on the two standard angles, horizontal and vertical deviation from the radius arm's centre line?
And if you 'rotate' the Radius Arm end casting (probably a forging) outward at the top the caster angle can be set back - 5 degrees is said to be needed but anything over 1 degree helps with stopping the car from wandering .

Of course the ball joint at the apex of the arms needs to be fitted properly with good bronze (brass) bushes and a good spring loaded bolt (either necked or not) to hold all in place.