The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speedex dampers
Hi I need to replace the old front and rear dampers on my Austin 7 speedex , would any member know what car the dampers originate from they are 14in front are two bushes , rear is one bush and top spindle thanks
Have you given your details to Dave Armstrong? He is the Speedex registrar and can answer most technical queries. The old Speedex site he put together had the answers and gave details of dampers for many of the typical 50s specials axles.
Many thanks yes have contacted him in parallel
Try here https://www.monroe.com.au/trade-corner/c...lengthform  You can search by open and closed lengths etc

Easier list here http://www.weweler.eu/nl/getfile/KONIDim...df/bestand
Hi,
I haven't picked up a PM?

If I read your thread correctly you've telescopic dampers with a double eye at the front 14" long and an eye and stud thread on the rear? As Zeto says, the open and closed lengths are how these are measured but what you describe do sound like original Mini dampers but they only expand to 11". Original Woodhead Munroe that were fitted to many A7 IFS's did 11 1/2" to 18 1/2" but had eyes at both ends. I'd suggest you try scraping the paint off, the makers details will be on there somewhere?

Hope of use, Dave
Thanks for help , Mossparts in Stockport most helpful . They identified the rears as MGC fronts so halfway there. Would anyone know of a supplier of the 11 1/2 to 18 1/2 ferrule ended shocks . I understand a chap called Dave in Mansfield has a stock of old ones but don’t know his garage to contact him .
Suggested supplier is at Mansfield Shock absorbers on 01623 633381 but on hols till 17th Oct , Scott’s online autojumble also found very helpful trying to source shocks at reasonable prices awaiting extended dimensions though.
Big difference in the weight of an MG front & an A7 special rear! Dimensionally the SA may be similar, but naively I would be concerned that the "strength" of the unit would be a bit OTT!
My thoughts exactly David, I would think Lightweight adjustable' the way to go.
You may be correct , Scott’s have sourced me front shock absorbers and will then see how car handles after fitted. The car was modified in the 70s so thinking they fitted what ever they found on a stockists shelf that suited the chassis and bodywork. Replacement dampers were very reasonable , will look for adjustables if this fails but spax quoted a lot to supply when first trying to source .