The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antifreeze
I'm not likely to take my A7 out in freezing weather, but should I be using antifreeze for it's other properties?
1935 AAK Tourer
A corrosion inhibitor is a good idea
It is good for corrosion prevention.
I have a Citroen SM and the Maserati engine it uses is prone to aluminium corrosion. UK cars are usually OK because they have anti-freeze. Engines from California are frequently a complete mess because anti-freeze never needed.
Jim
I havn't used A'freeze for 20 years, prefered to drain when cold. I save the water and re-use each time and there is very little 'rust' in the water.
In addition to the corrosion protection that works all year round, I think of antifreeze as guarding the engine against sub-zero temperatures whilst the car is in the garage over a very cold night or a longer cold snap, or if the car has to be left outside over night in the winter for any reason - though it would be possible to drain off the water in this case, if necessary (leaving the radiator cap on the seat as a reminder).  Provides peace of mind... don't like the idea of opening the bonnet to find the core plugs out on stalks of ice.

Colin
Intending to use my RP as a daily driver throughout the year I have just filled up with a 25% solution of Fernox Alphi 11, which is both an antifreeze and a corrosion inhibitor. This has been recommended by several people on the forum and it's spec seems to fill the bill.
Fernox Alphi 11 is the one for me.
I've put it on my shopping list. Thanks lads Smile
1935 AAK Tourer
If you arrange a catch tin (no plastic please) for the overflow pipe the running cost can be kept reasonable. I guess in the UK freezing is more of a problem but over the decades my car here with the engine and bonnet blanketed survived overnight frost outside to -12 deg C and  more (preceeding day temp quite warm)
There are much cheaper additives without anti freeze effect. From long observations, the innards of engines using are remarkable compared with the typical ravaged  Seven.
I use a decent quality ethylene glycol (blue) antifreeze on a 50/50 mix in all my vehicles including the Seven.