The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleeved block for race engine
Hi

I have been advised against using a sleeved block for building a race engine. Is this the general consensus of opinion?

Also, does anyone know the weight of a stripped Austin seven-block without studs? Need the weight for a courier collection.

Regards

Shane
About 20.25 lb or 9.2 kg
Cheers, Peter
Definitely not, it's basically only the cylinders that hold the top to the bottom once bored to take liners the original cylinder walls are very thin.
Thanks for the info
If you are useing just the eight studs provided by austin, there is an increased chance of the block breaking along the base.

It's more of a myth not to use linners, because they will move when racing.

If you do use linners for tuned engines, then strap over the head into the crankcase from front to rear.

Tony.
I don’t race but I have never ever had a problem with a sleeved block properly fitted.
On a standard engine you won't have a problem Ruairidh
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi R,

The rumour has always been the liners moves. But that's not true.

The problem is, when you liner a block. It makes the walls thinner on the bottom half of the water manifold side. This is were the block is shaped around the bore.

There is NO problem with a standard engine.

But when tuning, and putting more force through the block. They can break around the base.

But good blocks are now very scarce, and even the best engine builders are useing linered blocks for tuned engines.

But they bolt everything over the head to reduce the upward forces above the 8 block studs.

Tony.
I have had a number of engines come in (some sleeved and some not) which exhibit the damage you describe Tony. All of them had very high lift cams and very strong valve springs which I considered the root cause of the failure.

The blocks had lifted on the valve side and snapped the base off around the (normally number four) bore. In the cases of the ones with sleeves, these had certainly not moved and remained in position as you suggest.

Good blocks are indeed hard to find.
I would happily use linered block for standard engine, topic is for a race engine, as confirmed by Tony blocks are too thin at the base once linered