The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Building a Special Body
It will be painted Timothy, the car was a dark green prior to the accident, this time I was thinking of something less stereotypical BRG, hence the experiment with the colour on the radiator cowl......I am still not 100% sure but it is growing on me so will probably run with it.
Black Art Enthusiast
Brilliant, I really like the green on the radiator, should look great all over.
Look forward to your next update.
One of my favourite colours is the Mist Green that Sunbeam used on the S7. It looks really good on low sports models IMHO and is very close to your test colour.
Probably not anywhere near an original colour for Austins but as a special who cares?
Lovely work Ian,thank you for sharing those shots.
Aluminum in its natural state has,for me,always had a special draw along with construction photos.. even more so than the compleated product.
By the way,did you wheel or hammer the tail ?
Sharp looking build and if you have to paint it a cracker of a colour.. a little more sage than Ford Linden Green,another favourite,but looks well for it.
All the Best..
Albert, the tail is almost all hand beaten on a stump then planished with hammer and dolly, however the section in front of the boot did have some crown wheeled into it.
Thanks for the positive comments about the colour, although I like it my concern was that it could look a little military.
Black Art Enthusiast
Bumped for Merlin, I will update soon
Black Art Enthusiast
I think that green works, particularly if not too glossy.
I like the green you've found. Near me, there is a 1931 Hispano Suiza in cream and dark blue. It was apparently the first V 12 they built and was exhibited in various shows of the year. But it's original scheme was yellow and green. While I appreciate the color today, I do acknowledge the "fun" that the original color was. Similar to the works brochure of the EA Sports.

Best,

Erich

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-10-2017, 03:46 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: On the old forum I had a thread running about the rebuild of my special that I managed to roll whilst racing, virtually writing myself and the car off in the process. The old forum search facility is still not working so I am unable to find the thread and post a link. Anyway several people have asked to see how things are progressing, I admit that there have been a few distractions so not a massive amount more has been done but here is where I am now up to. I anyone wants to see the buck and body development process I will have another go at finding the old thread or failing that repost some of the pictures here.

Now, that's a serious bit of inspiration Ian!  Some very good ideas emerging and I like it a lot.

Arthur
I have at last managed to find the beginnings of this thread on the old forum it started on Jul 22, 2015 - 6:53AM and was titled "Special body build"

Unfortunately none of the pictures are available at present, hopefully someone can fix that, so here is a small selection at various stages of the build

.jpg   DSC05243_zpstvu8uwqc.jpg (Size: 232.64 KB / Downloads: 751)

.jpg   Special skin photos 25 July 2015 011_zpsfto4fegd.jpg (Size: 243.92 KB / Downloads: 750)

.jpg   Special skin photos 29 July 2015 001_zpsbxfwqjlg.jpg (Size: 225.38 KB / Downloads: 754)

.jpg   Special skin photos 31 July 2015 028_zpscfdx4c3h.jpg (Size: 205.16 KB / Downloads: 750)

.jpg   Firewall 18-10-2015 012_zpswmncadgv.jpg (Size: 228.18 KB / Downloads: 882)

Some of the formers that I made to produce various swages in the firewall bulkhead.

.jpg   Special 20-01-2016 004_zpsxegeqxzm.jpg (Size: 238.18 KB / Downloads: 740)

.jpg   Special 20-01-2016 007_zpspl3cnsmm.jpg (Size: 271.88 KB / Downloads: 741)

.jpg   Special 20-01-2016 019_zps4vftfueq.jpg (Size: 238.52 KB / Downloads: 741)
Black Art Enthusiast