The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Building a Special Body
Yes Peter I do have to anneal the aluminium, once during the beating stage and twice just around the edges whilst wiring them. Its is a good thing if the aluminium work harden's a little in the middle of the wing as you finish the planishing as it make them tougher and less inclined to dent from stones that may get thrown up in use.
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian I have to tell you how much I've enjoyed this thread showing the build of your special. I can really appreciate the skill you have in making all the bits.
I had to make a door skin for my MGA when I couldn't find a good second hand door to save my soul.

There was  half an inch of filler on the huge dent in the original ! Some "body man" had savaged, stretched and work hardened the skin so badly and that replacement was the only option. I wasn't able to source one so I had to make it.

I made a wooden buck to turn the edges so that the skin could be clenched over the original inner steel door frame.

I'm pleased to say that it turned out exactly how I wanted...... then suddenly good second hand doors started showing up!!!

The process to make all these bits are not really difficult, one just has to think what basic procedures  are required and apply them. I made a lot of scrap metal in the process of learning how to do things and I watched hours of video from panel beaters to get a good understanding of how to do things. Then as they say practice makes perfect.

Great stuff Ian
Thank you Steve, that is some nice work you have done there too. As you say its not as difficult as some may think, it's all about learning a few basic skills, being prepared to give things a go and not worrying when the scrap pile grows, getting it wrong is part of the learning process. Hopefully this thread inspires a few others......PS, I am quite ashamed to say that I have not worked on the car for over two years now, life and health have rather got in the way. With luck I will be able to get back out in the workshop again soon.
Black Art Enthusiast