The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, I give up !!!!!!!
(11-09-2019, 09:45 PM)flywheel1935 Wrote: yes, and easy-start, just coughs, burps, then nothing.

Do you mean the engine fires but then dies?
I think it is stale petrol that's why it coughs on easy start then dies. My advice for what it's worth try taking the carb bowl off empty clean and fill with new fresh from the pumps petrol. (Whilst it is off prime the pump a few times and fuel should come out the needle valve. If it doesn't there's the problem clean valve and filter and try again. If still no fuel check pump.) It should run for a few seconds quite well until the new petrol has been used up. If that happens you have proved its stale fuel drain the tank and pump and fill with new petrol.
Modern petrol has up to 10% ethernol added to it this evaporates off within 6 weeks making you car run like a bag of nails.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
If all else fails, and everything appears to be OK (spark, fuel etc) get someone to give you a good fast tow in a modern and keep going until it fires - which it will!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I would try the condensor, even if you appear to get a spark it may not be good enough, more so if you have not altered the timing or plug lead position.
You have not stated that you have four good sparks. Have you spun the engine with ignition on and all the plugs connected and lying on the head. If you get four good blue sparks it looks as though the ignition system is not the problem. If there is any doubt about this change ignition components until you get a good result, and don't forget that the rotor arm can fail, earthing the spark through the middle. I have come across this more than once.
Robert Leigh
A thought has crossed my mind (not a long journey!!).

My RP fuel pump sometimes sticks with the priming lever in the "up" position - so the engine stops once the carb empties. Also I was once told - but don't necessary believe it - that it is possble to install the fuel pump with the lever on the "wrong" side of the cam shaft.

Take the carb bowl off, turn the engine over a few times and ensure fuel gushes from the needle valve.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Hi guys, only been away a day and 15 replies , I've tried all the recommended ideas/offers, BUT will try fresh fuel, (again) !!!
Latest news is connected stater to 12 volt battery, + "easystart", and guess what >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

B*gger All, ( RICK, how close are you ???? )

Going to check, carb, fuel pump & Dizzy ( again ). can't think of anything else apart from cam wheel moving on camshaft, but thats a long shot, HELP .
Dereham, but not available for a couple of weeks - Special up on axle stands, Norwich cathedral for a memorial service tomorrow and off to Portugal for 10 days on Monday,

If you are still imobile  on 27 Sep, get in touch
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Flywheel, This is what my Practical Automobile Engineering Illustrated ( An old text book printed when side valve engines like 7s were popular) about starting problems. I have left out starter motor problems as I am assuming there is no problem there.
Starter turns engine briskly but engine does not start.
1. Contacts set wrongly or dirty
2. Seized contact breaker arm
3. Plugs damp or gap needs re setting
4. HT leads leaking badly
5. Loose or faulty Lt wire to coil
6. Damp or faulty condenser
7. Faulty coil
8. Damaged rotor arm
9. Lack of petrol jets and/or filters blocked. Petrol pump defective
10.choke not working correctly and/or leaks in induction system
11.sticking or leaking valve
12.valve or ignition timing incorrect
13.leakage past pistons and cylinders.
Most of these things you have already checked and have found to be correct. Most ignition things can be proven by checking for a good spark at the plugs and if you have then you can say the ignition system is ok. Same for petrol if your plugs are wet through after cranking it over for some time then petrol is getting through. You are then left with timing to check. One last thought how good is your battery it could be that the starter is taking all the power and there is not sufficient left to create a good spark.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
"LATEST NEWS ", carb off and will be mega cleaned tomorrow, pump working after rebuild, will fit new condenser & coil, new plugs purchased.
will flush out f/tank and fill with new fuel. As a side issue the car has been fitted with a RICADO head, so you can't see the piston position, the plugs are above the valves, and they seem very close to the bottom of the head ??? the flywheel was lightened, so new TDC marks were stamped. ( Cant believe engine builder got that bit wrong ??? ).
New to Norfolk so don't know any A7 folks locally who I can chat with face to face .