The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propshaft fitting
I have only ever seen the splined sliding section fitted to the gearbox on all the cars old and modern that I have ever played with.
Another point that pops up is the correct alignment of the UJs, again every prop shaft I have seen is aligned with the UJs at 90 degrees to each other,for good mechanical reasons, as explained here, http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...ft%20Howl/   I have two spare Ruby props that are not in alignment and looking at Holty's picture that one is not either, I had just presumed that the props I had were wrongly assembled,but now having seen three props the same i am starting to wonder how many out of aligned props are out there!
Thanks again to all.
The consensus seems to be splined end forwards.
Phil, obviously on mine the joints have dust covers fitted and so are harder to align. I wonder if they align when the grease nipples are pointing the same way? I guess I shall find out before very long.
Nick
The yokes at each end of the propshaft must be in line, in this orientation although the propshaft tube will speed up and slow down, the speed of the gearbox flange, and axle flange will remain constant.The propshaft in the Ruby Chassis photo is incorrectly assembled.Easy to correct undo the bolts at one end, undo the spline seal collar, slide apart and refit with the 2 yokes in line
On later post war cars with sliding yokes there are usually (not always) two small arrows stamped on the two parts of the shaft with the heads pointing towards each other when the shaft is in alignment and correct phase. Since I've not seen a later shaft like this I can't say if Austins did the same with these.

Cheers,
Stephen