The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AEW Bonnet handles - sealant
Hi, firstly I would like to thank everyone for their posts - the advise has been very helpful and it is interesting to see what is going on. The pictures are fantastic....thought it was time I had a go!

My AEW is a 1933 two seater and has 2 doors (near side door is original and must have been an optional extra). It originally had a centre sliding catch arrangement (as seen from the outside of the car) for the bonnet. It was supposed to catch on a bracket mounted midway at the side of the engine bay.

I had a lot of trouble with the mechanism engaging properly and it didn't secure the bonnet very well (hardly at all).
I have decided to use standard A7 bonnet handles (two each side) as shown at the bottom of this post.

.jpg   handle 1.jpg (Size: 127.35 KB / Downloads: 340)

Could anyone advise of a suitable sealant to use on the bonnet handles shown below? It will be applied between cellulose painted parts and the body and bonnet.

The front handle/catch arrangement (see below) has a plate under the bonnet mounted part - I think a removable (soft?) sealant here would be a good idea?
The plate is threaded and is used in part to secure the bonnet handle avoiding a hole too close to the edge of the bonnet and interfering with the radiator cowl.

The rear arrangement (see below) has a plate mounted on the body - again I think a removable (soft?) sealant here would be a good idea?

Thanks Peter
"Junior member" - 64 years young  :0)
Hi Peter

Excellent post with good clear pictures and a nice car!

However I'm not sure about sealant.  I don't think it would do any harm but I'm not sure what it would be doing?

If you do use sealant use one that is oversprayable.

Cheers

Howard
Peter - do you have a photo of the rear of your car please?
The catches you are using were riveted directly to the panels prior to painting with no sealant, if you feel the need for a seam sealant your local automotive refinishing suppliers will be able to sell you something. Personally I don't think I would use anything there is a risk if you introduce a compressible medium the the joint would work loose.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thinking about this it a sealant is sometimes introduced into a riveted aircraft seam so the correct product would no doubt work, however I still don't see why you would need it in this case?
Black Art Enthusiast
Why sealant? 

I use 1mm thick rubber sheet to avoid metal to metal fretting.   Much more "period"
Hi Ruairidh

Re: Rear of car

This is a picture showing the rear end with carboard rear lights/number plate mounting...trying to work out the best way to do it before getting the rear of the car professionally restored. The car is now being restored and is looking good. I tried to insert more pictures but something is playing up.

Regards Peter

Hi Simon, Howard and Ian

thanks for replies I will ponder on it!
Regards Peter
Thank you Peter - there are a number of AEWs here in Scotland, each is different to the other.

I look forward to seeing more photos of your progress.