The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby exhaust
Having some difficulty getting enough height above the axel to give clearance for the suspension.
I have seen suggestions to fit a side exit type.
But am trying to keep as much original as possible.
Anyone fitted a Side exit, how did it sound
Sounds like your suspension is a bit low, what are the springs like ?? Are the bump rubbers in place as they should give you the clearance between floor pan and top of the axle on maximum deflection of the suspension.

BR953 on this site https://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#nogo
The latest cars, with the rod brakes on the back, originally had a tailpipe that passed under the rear axle to the back.  The line of the tailpipe used is shown in a reproduced Austin drawing in the 'Austin 7 Sourcebook' somewhere around the 1938 Ruby entry.

Colin
Thanks for the replies
Springs look strong however going to look at taking the pipe under the axel.
Even the October 1938 parts list shows the tailpipe going over the axle. I have owned three 3 bearing Rubies, and even the one with rod rear brakes had the pipe over the axle. Only the last parts list on the A7CA archive section shows a nearly straight pipe to go under the axle. Have you examined whether your rear bracket is the correct length?
Robert Leigh
I ran my RP for about 40 years with a dead straight pipe running under the back axle. It was a bigger bore than the original and fitted over the outlet from the silencer, rather than inside it. I never had any problems and it made a nice noise!
I agree with Robert, my Ruby is the 50th from last Austin Seven built, it was laid up in 1960 with 36000 miles showing, it has the exhaust over the axle, I don't think an exhaust would need replacing at that milage