The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear springs
When you built the car Duncan how did you put it together, is the grub screw replacing the more usual cotter as suggested by some of the response? As you have only recently completed the car I doubt there will be any great difficulty dismantling and removing the springs, it only sometime become's an issue if they have not been disturbed for many years
Black Art Enthusiast
I think your best bet is to strip away the shocker undo the grub screw, check that there is no cotter or other holding device and use a puller to get the pin out. Wrote:As I suggested-

You can use the spring pin as its own puller - a short tube over the shoulder, a big washer and a nut on the shocker thread.
I didn't build the rolling part of the car, just the body. It came to me as a rolling chassis with engine, gearbox and transmission built (signed in white marker paint) by K. Rawson, IIRC
It was intended as an Ulsteroid with GRP body and had been "not finished" by at least one other buyer before I came upon it.
I know it's always a mistake to assume, but I'm hoping that the thing was built up from parts that were cleaned and painted before assembly by someone who knew a bit about what he/she was doing. As I've spent a couple of years on the body and driven it less that 250 miles I'm hoping that it's close enough to the original build for it still to be not rusted together.
I will find out...
So far, so good. All the nuts are easily unscrewed and removed but not the powerful bolt. I'm going to have to make holes in the floor to withdraw them. Lunch and then a run to a friend's Steam and any other interesting vehicles gathering fo a couple of hours. Then back to fight with the pins.
I consider it sensible to do this to the floor when building a special to allow later spring removal. 

Black Art Enthusiast
I realised that was the case the minute I looked at the spring mountings! If only...
I made the same mistake on the first special I built Duncan, never again!
Black Art Enthusiast
Neat job Ian, as always with you
I've taken out one spring this afternoon and found it to be completely flat, no curve at all.

I'm a little concerned that I found a "spacer" which is much narrower than the spring, sitting on top of it. Should this be there? If so, why is it much narrower than the spring? It's the piece of strip with one hole(for the powerful bolt) sitting at an angle to the spring in the pic.
 Any advice is most welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Depending on how deep the slot in the chassis is, the spacer may have been to keep the u bolt tight to the top of the spring. I had a fat spacer underneath the tourer spring (6 leaves not 7) made of hard fibrous board...