The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering wheel splining
Hi, I’ve had gearbox splines cut by spark erosion. A good operator just needs the external spline to copy. Don’t know where you are based but could give you number of my contact here in Barnsley if it helps. 
Kevin

.jpeg   89204D14-9567-4B2E-B117-A7B5F489979E.jpeg (Size: 123.01 KB / Downloads: 352)
.jpeg   294256A1-95AC-4639-A4BD-45FC957F2591.jpeg (Size: 85.84 KB / Downloads: 350)

Neil discovered a rusty, probably irreparably Damaged
 Ruby steering wheel in his pile of old Austin bits.

So after soldering up my Scuttle petrol tank I
took a disc cutter to this old steering wheel and cut off the splined hub.

When the new spider casting comes back from JB Neil will
Use his lathe to machine down the splined part and then shrink 
it into a pre bored hole in the new casting plus secure the two parts 
with some grubs screws tapped in from the side of the hub.

In the meantime I’ve borrowed Neil’s Box Saloon type steering
Wheel so should he back on the road by the weekend!

Still to fix the dynamo and brake light switch though.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
For those interested.

This is a broaching tool. And next to it the steering wheel Bose it cuts.

John miles had this one made, for his aluminium sports wheels for the austin 7.

It cuts a slightly larger spline, so the wheels can be removed easier in racing.

Tony.

[attachment=7593]
Thanks for posting that Tony, I'm interested at least!

I see broaches from time to time in my line of work but they are great big industrial size things!
Thanks for this Tony

I’ve seen pull broaches before but they were about
18” long with more than 20 cutting segments , presumably
For cutting steel splines. Cutting alloy splines is a lot easier I’d imagine.

Regards

Bill G
Hi KC,

the broaches you know from your work, are obviously the size they are. Due to production quantitys and speed.

Either that or I must have broach envy Big Grin

Bill for a one off, I don't see why a column end can't be used.

But be careful a simple branch will swell and contract the aluminium as well as cut. So it may need pushing through several times to get the splines to fit together without useing a big hammer.

Also a single size cutter will be untidy and likely to take chunks out. I'd try getting a couple or three splines. And grind the cutting heads down. So you can use them in series. Same as the correct tool.

That way you sould get a cleaner job, and less likely to have the wheel come off in you hands when you least need it to.

Good luck, Tony.
Spot on Tony. The industrial ones are that big because they have a lead angle and take multiple small bites as they pass through, getting progressively bigger. Even so they deform (or sometimes break) the parts as the sideways force is very high.
The Hi Tony

It was a choice of cannibalising an old rusty wheel
Or a relatively good column . So have chosen to
use the spline from the centre of an old Ruby wheel suitably
machined to fit into a new hub.

I do think an old column would work as a broach though.

Busy today refitting the petrol tank after soldering.

Suns out so may get a drive this afternoon.
( Using Neil’s flat wheel which only just clears the dash and screen)

Regards

BillG

.jpeg   0C6EEA5B-1709-4BD7-9B29-800F64E64955.jpeg (Size: 42.84 KB / Downloads: 109)

Neil kindly turned down the old Ruby wheel centre to make a sleeve to fit inside
The repro wheel I recently got on EBay, suitably drilled.
I finished fitting the sleeve to the steering wheel hub this morning .

Basically I relieved the bottom edge of the sleeve so that the tightening bolt could pass through unhindered. Then I remembered that the bottom of the sleeve was likely to abut the solid part of the steering column, so I put a chamfer on that bit of the shank of the bolt that might meet up with the solid bit of the column.

I made some conical recesses in the sleeve for the two grub screws as well and for final assembly I used Gorilla glue which goes on like araldite but seems to expand and ouze out of gaps but goes pretty solid.

I’ll leave it overnight to go well off.

The splined sleeve is a neat fit on the column so may not mount it till I’ve fettled the steering gearbox but that involves removing it first .

I’ve put my “spare” wheel and spider on EBay along with other Seven bits. 

Thanks again to Neil for his support and skill with a lathe.

Regards Bill G

Aka AllAlloyCup

.jpeg   EFB8967E-7ED6-479C-A2EA-4D5A88992513.jpeg (Size: 39.88 KB / Downloads: 107)
.jpeg   25973155-5D1E-4EC1-95CA-D862D229D4C8.jpeg (Size: 61.58 KB / Downloads: 107)
.jpeg   0FD83BDC-6D2E-4DE6-AC70-3DC02C4080A1.jpeg (Size: 84.51 KB / Downloads: 107)
.jpeg   5F85C960-25B1-4520-9434-2C722E676BB9.jpeg (Size: 46.76 KB / Downloads: 107)