The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Gordon England Mr JoJo
Well spotted R,

I have a nice picture from the other side, in the Pope scrapbook that came with the supersports.

Never noticed the spokes before though.

The mottled body covering is beautiful.

Tony.
More mottle here... https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress....umber-512/
Both the Jo-Jo's had double laced wheels with double the number of spokes.   Like Mrs Jo-Jo, Mr Jo-Jo underwent body changes during its life, initially it was a modified Cup as raced by Capt. Chase, later it had a rakish skiff body and was raced by Derrington.   Both versions are shown in the photos above.  I believe it met its fate whilst sand racing at Southport.  I think in todays liberated world there must be room for a transgender Jo-Jo special?
On a technical point, I am wondering whether the Cup version of Mr Jo-Jo had special lowered rear suspension?
Hi...
Am interested (+++) by this picture of Mr JoJo just purchased by Cap Chase to Gordon England. Could you tell me more about the origin of that ? 
And by the way, do you have any other détails about the car when engaged by Chase at Montlhery in 1928 to attend record of the 24 H? 
I already have everything existing in the Canning Brown book and on the site of MotorSport. 
I put you into the "Friends list"
Austinly yours...
Luc WYNEN
Dear Luc

Thanks for making contact. I can’t tellyouanything
about this photo of Mr JoJo wearing its Modified Cup
body.

I had originally thought of making a Replica of Mr JoJo !! Instead it gave me
the idea of making a Cup body entirely in aluminium, which I’ve just finished.

See my long running thread on “AllAlloyCup progress”.

Have you particular interests in early Austin derived racers?

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Could any friend here in the forum tell the chassis number of the "Gordon England Mr JoJo" used by Cap Chase for record at Montlhery in 1928 ? 
Luc W

Hi Tony...
We've met you already at your home  Smile
I came with a friend of mine to buy a Ulster's kit to you in the year (...? 2011?) 
Am now looking for any informations about Mr JoJo, mostly the moments when Cap. Chase used the car for record at Montlhery in 1928... 
But also earlier and after that times...
Could you help ? 
Luc Wynen
Hi LUC,

It's been a wile.

If anyone has the chassis number info on such an iconic car, they are very unlikely to disclose it.

If they did, there would be 20 people in the first twelve months claiming to have remains of the car in there sheds.

People would be wearing out there number stamps at an alarming rate Big Grin

if the car is known to survive, that info should be kept strongly with the owner.

Tony.
Hi Bill, I'm calling Luc Wynen ( member of the PWA7c since 1999, living in Belgium but often in 2nd residence near Le Mans Smile ) 
I own a 1936 Nippy and a 1930 Special too (the "Dick Morris Sp", that could be seen in the book of D Morgan "immortal Seven", section years 50') 
I am engaged in the team of Igor Bierty (well known speaker-reporter in France in the area of the classics and vintage cars) . Igor plans to commemorate the record of Cap. CHASE (Montlhery 1928) . He has an ugly ordinary Seven Sp. with no particular body shape interest that he would he wishes transform to a lookinglike Mr JoJo, and let she turn on the Montlhery circuit 24 h in 2020! 
I am in charge to recover the max of info/details about the CHASE's car and the historical event of 1928. 
That's the raison why a began to ask for informations through the austinfriends forum. 
If you couldn't help maybe you could make touch with others near or far from you but in relations and able to help  (!?) 
Maybe (???) you are aware about the Gordon England Register where I hope to find some infos about Mr JoJo (!?) 
We stay in touch. 
Best regards. 
Luc W.

Hi again Tony.... 

As ( I could understand it ...) there is no more infos about the numbers of the car, maybe you could help for any iconography about Mr JoJo. In relation of the planned event in 2020 (intention to commemorate the record of Chase on the same circuit) we plan to write articles in the french vintage magazine too . So if you could help for iconography or part of Mr JoJo's history, anecdotes .... it would be great, helpfully ... and unhoped! 

By the same way something else..... Do you still be able to deliver new brake drums for the Seven's ? I would need a set of 4 (!)  Wink 

Best regards 

Luc W.

Thank's Malcolm
The rakish skiff body of Mr JoJo has been if I don't make mistake by Cap. CHase initiative for the record of 1928. The car earlier purchased at G.E. works was a std Cup I guess , and the pictures show the moments between the 2 kind of bodies . 
Do you he've more pictures of the time of Derrington owning? 
We stay in touch
Best regards 
Luc
Luc,

you have everything the GE Register has on Mr JoJo already - i.e not a lot!

We would gratefully receive anything further you find out in your search - thank you.

Best wishes,

Ruairidh Dunford

A7CA Gordon England Registrar
Hi Luc

I have Canning Browns  books so will check out Captain Chase there.

Have you seen this period Austin publication?

It’s currently for sale on Ebay( very expensive though)

It lists record attempts and race results in the UK and at Monthlery.

There are very few good photographs of Gordon England
Austin based racing cars and I hope you can unearth some.

I’m particularly interested in the prototype Cup and the car
that ran at LeMans in 1925? Perhaps Auto Club L’Ouest has
an archive?

Mr JoJo started out as a standard Cup model, I believe
And was probably bought by Chase as a second hand car 
as it looks very beat up with its tacked on alloy panels,
Not a special factory build racecar at all originally. There were apparently over 3000
Cups built, though Chases car is an early one made before 1926?

Regards

Bill G

Based near the Scottish Border,