The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a woody?
a number of well know restorers in other heritage sectors will not use it because of its durability. Prefering tropical hardwoods
What Heritage exists with regards to Austin Seven Woodys?
wasn't really referring to Woodies, Ruairidh, more to Sevens.

But I think with an ash kit made in the 40s, and teak footboards, that is what I'll replace to.

I'd still like to explore the word 'durability' though.. and whether it extends past infestation and rot?
Some woodies, notably the Morris 1000 do look good. I can recall when quite common on larger vehicles. Up to about 1950 the army operated many Ford V8s. But, cuteness apart, what exactly is the point of building inside out?
Does any heritage exist?
(17-08-2019, 09:13 AM)Bob Culver Wrote:  But, cuteness apart, what exactly is the point of building inside out?

Money... and material supply.

Tax efficient status on purchase, annual tax, and also petrol allowances.

Needed to be obviously utility vehicles and the woodie style suited people like AC and Austin for producing something... particularly when there wasn't much metal available to use.
What were the tax and production advantages to a Woody style body?
Talking of ash to frame a 'woody' isn't that exactly what BMC/Morris did for the Minor and MO Oxford Travellers? It was also used as external trim on later Travellers: Oxford, Isis and Mini. It did become noticeable that rot set in on some of these which were not regularly re-varnished.
Robert Leigh
The Seven workshop had one for sale in about 1978/9.( Denvers Yard Days ) ( It probably ended up broken for parts )
It used to belong to a relative of my mother that used it for his student days at Oxford.
I think it was a conversion from a chrome rad van which gave four seats or a usefull van.
There should be a picture of it in the loft somewhere.
All the modern cars I've had have been estates or van conversions. Far handier than saloons I think.