The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a woody?
Looking at the latest “Automobile” magazine there is an article on “shooting brakes”. Very handsome they are too. Instead of building Ulster reps how about having a go at one of these on an A7 chassis? Martin and Dave Prior any thoughts?
 Cheers,
Dave.
Hi Dave

A woody would suit a seven but I'm not sure how "correct" it would be?  I'm not sure if there are any "Woodies" in Purves.

On the other hand it would be supremely practical!  My RK has very limited room and a the (huge comparatively) space would be an attraction.  

Cheers

Howard
We have a Ruby based “Woody” in the Scottish Austin Seven Club - very nice it is too.
Enter JonE stage right!

I could maybe add in response to Howard, probably a dam sight more "correct" than many other specials which get built
Black Art Enthusiast
As some of you know, I sold my '29 Tourer in order to get something more up and together and original so that I actually USE a car rather than fiddle with it... and have suddenly landed myself into a holy/holey pile of exterior ash frame which wasn't the intention. I think it must be the same syndrome as those who serially rehouse unruly dogs in the belief that someone must do it.

The extant and recently sighted Austin 7 woodies seem to break down into created half-woodies (from behind doors back) and those which have become woodies as a result of their metalwork moving from outside to inside the frame. Mine seems to be a fairly well made kit which in the 40s was either generic to small cars like Sevens or made bespoke for the Seven. It has been on the car since the early 50s but plainly was even then I think the car was a bit of a Trigger's Broom. One contact remembers a father in the 40s and 50s creating Utilities from rear ended small cars whilst working at Dennis's works, for a bit of evening pin money. Mine co-incidentally has a Guildford registration...

The body sits well back over the arches and with quite nice proportions, and I don't plan to replace any of the heavy rear window frames above the tailgate, just so it can be a light car with air blowing round the visible woodwork as much as possible. Likewise, the doors I plan just to remake as Chummy-style half doors for the time being, although there are fortunately (enough) remains of full wooden doors with RK style glass arrangements, but in a far shorter door.

I'm trying to pull together some images of all the cars known or perhaps lost, so do shout if you know of anything so we can start to compare wood construction.

Will have to go in search of Automobile. Ken Kimber recommended a book on wood framed vehicles by Colin Peck. I paid about a fiver delivered from ebay and it's a great read, although some of the larger ones seems ludicrously overbuilt and just waiting to fall part once a bit of structural decay gets in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Bodied-V...B00D5FOIUA
father had a painted cowl Austin 16 woody at one point. A very nice thing but rotten.

One of Martins van body frameworks would make a super basis for a woody with the metal on the inside. But dare I suggest that ash is totally inappropriate as external framing. Some durable hardwood would be better (but more expensive)
That is quite interesting, as my observation in other worlds is that ash attracts woodworm like nothing else. I posted on the Woodie forum about whether owners with combinations of old and new wood had resorted to other methods than varnish, which seems to be far too hard once moisture is underneath it. I quite like the effect of paraffin oil (remains wet) on raw wood to splice in with greyed old wood and some have suggested that oil won't disturb a modern-glued and screwed joint. Of course it needs doing regularly but it is not like vintage cars are getting modern useage... or if they are they are likely to be well maintained.
No-one replied other than in the 'are you crazy?' vein... but perhaps there aren't many people retaining portions of old wood, SPAB style.
Im sure youll find someone spouting the party line that ash is flexible, dimentionally stable enough etc. And it is. But I would contend it was used mainly cos it was cheap. And easier to grow than other species. But its pretty bad for durability.
I've just had a quick look a Morris traveller wood replacement and it all appears to be ash, Canadian or British.
The main thing is it is heritage-linked use; it is part of sensitivity to originality. And has been well proven.
Hedd, are you concerned about durability other than infestation?
I don't see the issue with worm - treatment is easy. Thus if it is protected inside the structure why would anyone use anything else?