The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stippolite glass
Don't forget the adapter kits that used to be made that would allow the common size headlamp lens/reflector from the likes of Morris Minors to be fitted onto A7 headlight shells......the kit outer rims were thicker to take the smaller lens and still have right large diameter to fit A7 shell.  Perhaps domed lens in that case?

I had them on my first Nippy EJ 4322 in the late 60s.....much improved lighting for traveling at speed......oh car was 12V.....oh and it had a 948 BMC Morry Minor engine......oh and Morry hydraulics....oh and the twin spring IFS from engineering firm in Ottery St Mary Devon.  Last seen disappearing into distance with new owner and girlfriend (or wife)....I did warn him that the king pins were probably broken in 3 places as it was the stubs with the longer thiner king pins that had been used!!!!!.  I can confirm a recon gold seal BMC 948 engine will do 9,000 rpm......oh, yes, it had an electronic rev counter.  Wonder if they ever made it home........car seems to have disappeared - perhaps into oblivion.
Hi All

Doing a quick Google search came up with quite a few references to acrylic discs, cut to any size for what seems like peanuts!. Some made to mimic the look of glass.  Not sure if you can get Stippolite finishes but a frosted finish would be easy to reproduce.

Can anyone think of any problems in using acrylic as a headlight lens.  I know it will scratch more easily!

Cheers

Howard
Howard,

If you want to know how acrylic headlamp glasses behave, look around any car park at modern motors. Not only do they scratch easily, but they become opaque. You can get special polishing kits for them though.
1200 wet and dry, (wet) and then polish with T cut.
Or just use glass!! It's worked 'brilliantly' ever since the first motor car!

Steve
(22-08-2019, 02:24 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: 1200 wet and dry, (wet) and then polish with T cut.

Farecla No3 works well. I did the grandson's Passat's headlamps about twelve months ago, but they look as if another dose will be required shortly.