The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New Member Restoring Ruby
From what I have heard it is not a good idea to post car pictures showing the number plate- lots of nasty people about  Huh
Not sure that is true. Every time we go out, the number plate of our cars is clearly visible and public. The DVLA are very touchy about giving out registration details without a very good reason. Further, this site gives everyone a certain amount of anonymity. Nobody shares their details with other forum users unless they are either known personally to them or want to fro some specific reason, when they can PM them.
The number plate pictures were posted on Flikr !
Are Flckr's privacy rules any different from ours, I wonder?
Did you have to log into Flikr to view the pictures ?
My understanding is that there are illegal ways to get more info about the owner of a car through its registration.

The internet simply opens you up to a world of people looking for ways to defraud others.

So, yes your licence plate is open to read by anyone walking past your car in the road, but the pool of nasty people there is much lower than the pool looking on the internet, so you reduce your risk level by removing the number plate from view, as to what that risk level actually is that's up for debate.

To be as sure as you can, the simple answer is to not show your licence plate on a wide public platform.

Interestingly we were at a show yesterday where all the owners at the Jag club had obscured their plates with club logos. Double benefit, plates hidden and any pictures finding their way to the internet are tagged with the club identity for publicity.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Goodness me. What a windy lot those Jag owners must be. We are all open to fraud, scamming, phishing, etc and it is wise to be as alert to it as possible. But worrying about your number plate being seen is just laughable.
(19-08-2019, 09:03 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Goodness me. What a windy lot those Jag owners must be. We are all open to fraud, scamming, phishing, etc and it is wise to be as alert to it as possible. But worrying about your number plate being seen is just laughable.

Inclined to agree Nick. Life's too short, just get on with it and stop worrying.
(19-08-2019, 10:26 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote:
(19-08-2019, 09:03 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Goodness me. What a windy lot those Jag owners must be. We are all open to fraud, scamming, phishing, etc and it is wise to be as alert to it as possible. But worrying about your number plate being seen is just laughable.

Inclined to agree Nick. Life's too short, just get on with it and stop worrying.

My sentiments entirely!
They used to say that auto entry 'no key' systems added to the security of your car and were impossible to crack. Now they tell you to put your keys into a special 'faraday cage' bag to prevent thieves from standing at your front door and boosting your key signal to open your car doors whilst you sleep.

Whilst I don't worry about covering my car number plate at events, on my website it is obscured.

It's not 'laughable' to be wise, aware and where you feel appropriate, a little careful. It's all about the degree of care you wish to take and I would not criticise anyone who decided to obscure their number plate at an event to ensure it didn't appear on facebook.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!