The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supercharged EA sports chassis list
Eric, that probably makes your Car Number B4-694, so sadly you miss out on the records by just a few hundred cars. By late 1931 the demand for the Ulster must have been dwindling to a mere handful. There was perhaps a small surge in demand for sports cars in early 1932 approaching the start of the competition season, but the MG C-Type - and the soon to be announced MG J2 - was the car of choice by then.
Thanks for all the answers so far.

I note that my Supercharged EA has number stamping on the spare wheel cover, is this a production number or was it just to match that part with its body during production ?
So that likely means that the total numbers I have seen, 160 from you, 167 or 168 elsewhere and even 390, are optimistic. Perhaps 140 is more in the range. One would assume that as fall approached, there would be fewer sales of sports cars.

Erich in Seattle
Walter, the number stamped on your spare wheel cover is almost certainly the Body Number; this number would also have been stamped on the propshaft tunnel just behind the handbrake cover.
Ulster number 178 was in the Cotswold Motor Museum many years ago. This will have been a B5 car and I think it was a 
re-import from S.A
(12-08-2019, 06:37 PM)geoffharrison Wrote: Ulster number 178 was in the Cotswold Motor Museum many years ago. This will have been a B5 car and I think it was a 
re-import from S.A

I too saw it many years ago, Geoff. The Cotswold Motor Museum was run by Mike Kavanagh who came from South Africa and told me he'd brought the car to the UK with him. Mike was the chap who opened and closed the doors to the Museum in each episode of the children's programme, Brum. 

Steve
My Ulster is car no 60, stamped on the tunnel and also the spare wheel cover. Sadly I can't find any record of it in the ledgers. It was registered on Jan 1 1932 which seems a little late.
Chris, my car (long since sold, unfortunately) was body 42, dispatched from the Works 20th August and registered on 22nd August, so my guess is your car with body no 60 is probably an early B2 car from late 1930. That may not mean your car was slow to sell, more likely it had a season racing before being registered.

If the Cotswold car had body no 178 then that must have been a very late car, and presumably a fair indication of the total number produced (although it's entirely possible there were a few more bodies than cars, it will only have been a very few ...)
Mike, I'm fortunate to own Ulster no. 176 , with a B5 car number , registered in February 1932.
I can only assume that by this late stage in the life of the Ulster , cars were being built to special order using components which were readily available .
I'm sure your Lancia Appia ( one of my favourite cars ) gives you as much please as your Ulster did.
Geoff.
Further to Tony Betts' suggestion about the published list - it's interesting that the several cars that I know of here in Oz are not listed there.  Possibly because the bodies were made in different shapes by Oz motorbody builders, the English don't recognise them?  Several cars were imported in chassis form, also many components were brought in , mostly for racing at the time, also two Longbridge-bodied AEs that I know of were imported - maybe more?.  Dickason for one had a blown engine to the same specs as the Campbell record-attempt car and the Marsh/Davis 1930 Brooklnds car -this engine supplied gratis by the factory for him to compete in the 1931 Australian Grand Prix.  And don't forget Waite's AGP-winning car in 1928.  The s/c engine with gearbox still exists, in a replica Body I built & sold to Graeme Steinfort.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz