The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front and rear inner hubs
Are the front and rear inner hubs the same?

I've got a badly distorted rear one on the RN, but have found a much better one in a box of bits. It looks the same, but I don't know if it was from a front hub or a rear one
Exactly the same
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks, Ian
(04-08-2019, 09:33 PM)John Mims Wrote: Are the front and rear inner hubs the same?

I've got a badly distorted rear one on the RN, but have found a much better one in a box of bits. It looks the same, but I don't know if it was from a front hub or a rear one

A look in the friends archive will tell you the answer and give you the part numbers even.  See spares catalogues.
Whilst on the subject the two halves with any gasket should clamp the bearing. This is esp important at the front. It is worth checking. Whether or not modern seals fitted, the oil seal  washer must be retained or bearing may not be clamped, even without a paper gasket. Many inner hubs are set aside becaue the studs are stretched or dished at the back. Bearing should press in, esp at the front.
I have read that late 7 and Big seven wheel bearings are larger and therefore the inner hubs would be would be a loose fit if used on an earlier 7. The outer hubs are a larger diameter possibly to accommodate this larger bearing?
If I have it right-

1938/39 Big Seven Rear Wheel Bearing (and 1938 Austin Seven ?)

The so-called Heavy Axle from around March 1938

SKF 6207:  35 mm (1.378”) x 72 mm (2.835”) x 17 mm (0.669” )

Original Austin 7 Rear Wheel Bearing-

RLS 10:  1 ¼” (1.25”) x 2 ¼” (2.25”)  x 11/16”  (0.688”)

I don't think the Front Hubs were changed.
(06-08-2019, 02:25 AM)Tony Press Wrote: I don't think the Front Hubs were changed.

The front hubs on a couple of Big 7 axles I have stripped have had inner hubs that are slightly thicker on the flange than the "ordinary" 7 inner hub. The bearing setup has been the same, the outer hubs are the same as late Ruby ones with no dowels.
As Stuart says, I too recall noting differences to the fronts as well - I may have some I can photograph to illustrate.
The front hubs changed to part number 1A 4662 in 1938, these new hubs were used in both A7s and Big Sevens and appear to coincide with the late brake drums mentioned by Stuart.