The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPLACING AERO SCREENS
On a standard car the brake and clutch pedals are roughly similarly placed as in the photo, due to the fact that the gearbox and steering box carry the pivots for the pedals. On your car however the accelerator is VERY high compared to a standard car, and there doesn't seem to have been much allowance made for the right foot at the bottom of the bulkhead - even an RP saloon has a slight "bulge" to give a bit more foot room. Some metal bashing might be needed, or leg amputation. Smile
is that the throttle pedal which looks like aluminium scraping along aluminium when it is depressed? The column sits very high in the dash... perhaps the car has lost its original GE slightly-raked box. Can you see a part number on it?
Hi JonE
Yes you are correct the aluminium bracket affair is indeed the throttle, surprisingly it does work ok, it's just that it's to high.
The length of travel needs to start where it finishes if you know what I mean. But whenever I look at it I struggle to see a way round it.
Is anyone able to post any pictures of what is considered the ideal Special set up.
I've  also taken a picture of the steering box the only number stamped is the c46/2?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I always wear proper leather shoes .
If all else fails, remove the seat altogether and go for a short drive and see how it goes. I needed to extend the steering column so I could get my knees behind it as my legs are far too long and I still cannot wear shoes as every inch counts. All part of building a special.
Cheers

Mark
My clutch pedal is almost too far away as well but am going to have a short
screwed extension made. It’s always a tight space for the accelerator pedal but
yours looks to be further into the cockpit than most, but if it’s too far back not
much space to operate it as it’s so close to the brake, and it’s easy
to catch the throttle if having to brake suddenly.

Take care

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
+1 for thin seat cushions. Mine is tolerable for 150 miles or so, on longer trips I slip a bit of high density foam camping mat underneath which helps a little with comfort.

At 6ft 1" and shoe size 11 I struggle in normal shoes, I keep flat soled canvas boat shoes for A7 driving. Sadly these have become a 'fashion' item of late and consequently doubled in price!

My dad always drove his special in a crash helmet. A 'period' bone dome with visor might look rather dapper?
Looking at your photos, Paul the one above which shows the steering box - below it appears to be the throttle shaft ( with a castle nut on the end, and the link to the column lever being somewhat bent out of shape. Normally the throttle lever is fixed to the bulkhead above the level of the flywheel which allows the pedal to hinge from the top downwards rather than the opposite way which seems to be the case with your car. Might I suggest that you have a look at a standard car so you can compare the differences. It might help. The normal arrangement of brake and accelerator allows for "toe and heel" gear changes.
Could you adjust the brake pedal to be a little further away from you by adding a wooden stop between it and the bulkhead then reduce the length of the accelerator pedal as the piece coming towards you looks to be bolted on. Clearly anything you do regards reducing the brake pedal arc wants to ensure you can still properly apply the brakes but I think it would help you. 

I once borrowed a friend's fiberglass bodied Ulster replica for a few months and to drive it I removed the seat base (ruby type individual seats) and put in a thin cushion, if it were my car I'd have done the above adjustments too but with the seat base in it was unsafe for me to drive.
If you have a copy of the spares list the original components are listed and illustrated which may help to determine what you should be aiming for.
My experience has been that, rather than try to modify a lash-up, it's often easier to start from scratch, perhaps using the best bits you have and making new, reliable parts
40" is a good leg/hip length but as has been suggested, the steering wheel seems to sit low and forward. Check the angle and type of steering box as already suggested and perhaps look an extension to the column to set it at a more drivable position.