The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPLACING AERO SCREENS
Hi All
Thanks for all your comments,  looks like I have a little work to do.
Apart from raising the aero screen, I agree the throttle pedal requires reworking and will start from scratch as advised.
As far as the steering column is concerned an extention would be a good idea but what's involved? Are longer columns available?
I also agree that after removing the seat back rest,  two inches of horsehair plus pleat is just to much.
Looks like the garage and test match special becon.?
Hi Paul

I believe there are several lengths of column available. Others will confirm the exact lengths.  Its relatively easy to change the column, but it does need you to disassemble the steering box so it will have to come out of the car.  Might not be too easy in a special, depending on how the bulkhead etc has been built.

Good luck

Howard
This car has an extended column.

https://www.youtube.com/user/trevorcharlesaustin/videos

Might have been a "one long one from two" job.  Its described in one of the build videos.  It involved welding and was done by John Sutton.  He's now in the USA not Greenwich.

Is there scope to move the body backwards a little?

Its something I'm considering on my own car. That might require a new bonnet, I might be able to shift the rad cowl back a bit instead. It might be I build a new body from scratch...

Again a drastic change, is there scope to raise the steering column?
As Joss pointed out to me, and on studying pictures again I agree, the floor appears to be rather thick, you seem to have no transmission tunnel and sit extremely high in the car. Your backside and heels should both be HARD on the chassis, with minimal padding to the seat squab, if you sit 2" to 3" above the chassis there is no chance you will be able to fit into the car. You should sit down in the car not wear it like a skirt! I agree that the pedal layout is also a major part of the issue, move the brake closer to the column and to fire wall, then put the accelerator where it is supposed to be, you could also narrow the brake pedal to allow foot room for access to the accelerator. Lengthening the column is possible but with everything else that needs to be done you are then up for a full rebuild. In the first instance look at seat height and pedal layout, fix both of these and your problems may be relieved
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian, I agree floor height is to high,  plan to replace 15mm boarding with galvanised steel 1 or  2mm thick.
Steering column can be adjusted slightly raising by approximately 1cm.
Will reduce seat padding which should also help and the replace the rather crude pedal arrangement .
I think the combination of these changes will improve things immensely.
Should be fun, part of the Joy's of owning such a car is disappearing in to the garage for hours on end.
Will post pictures of improvements when completed,
It may take some time!