The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPLACING AERO SCREENS
Hi All
Just wondering what the great and the good think to my idea of replacing the aero screens on my special with a flat screen and frame.
Dispute lowering seating position the aerospace are far to low, chest height rather than face.
I was thinking the flat screen would also look better proportionally?
I know the aeros could be raised on a ash block but unsure of this route, any thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I made a proper fold flat Ulster screen for my car and its much nicer on the road. I fold it flat when competing. People may mention the weight penalty but the extra weight of the screen is a very small part of my overall weight handicap.

Charles
I like the driver's side aero to be horizontal and the passenger can duck down. Without a passenger I fold the N/S screen down. No amount of aero is going to stop the flies getting in between your teeth as you grin your way down the road (unless you're a shorthouse like me) so wear a necker over your mouth and get good goggles.

Or fit a windbrake...it'll keep some of the rain off but you're offering more frontal resistance.

For style you can't beat a shapely Vee screen IMHO but you need deep pockets unless you find a good S/H one.

The fold-flat is a good compromise.
You could do both as per the TT cars!

Photos on the old forum about half way down the thread.
A pair of motoring goggles is a good deal cheaper than a windscreen.
(01-08-2019, 05:11 PM)Chris KC Wrote: A pair of motoring goggles is a good deal cheaper than a windscreen.

But a total PITA with varifocals in my experience 

Charles
have you got some slack with seat cushion positioning to get you lower? Presuming from earlier posts you may have a slightly sportier steering angle anyway.
I find Birdz goggles go over my varifocals without any trouble. One minor disadvantage can be misting but that doesn't seem to last long.
They come with three sets of lenses, clear, dark, and snow yellow (where the huskies have been!)
Can you show us pictures of the seats and you in the car, we may be able to offer suggestions to improve the driving position, a flat screen would probably look ok on your car but will slow it down and if you already sit too high may not solve much, you head needs to be below the top rail.
Black Art Enthusiast
Please find pictures of seats recently recovered.
Original seat base was a 13mm board on to which was mounted a 3 inch foam base and vinyl cover.
This was mounted to the floor again 13mm board.
To sit as low as possible I mounted a 2inch horsehair base to a 6mm board, removed a section of 13mm flooring and replaced with 3mm steel plate.
Not sure how I can lower any further?
The seat back since also being recovered my need slight modification to allow it to sit approx 1inch further back.
Driving position is comfortable apart from throttle pedal being to high causing my right knee to rub on the steering wheel, being 6ft tall probably doesn't help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)