The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
OLD 7 Special Reg GN312
sorry, yes, HAVENT!
http://archive.a7ca.org/models/speedex/speedex-history/
Very happy to say I now know my special GN312 was bought by Kevin McGrath Ringwood Hampshire in the 1980's Kevin had several Austin Sevens including EU5372 ... Does anyone remember a Kevin McGrath ? moved to Blackpool in the 90's

Many thanks Matt

DVLA Database shows EU 5372 is currently 'Not taxed for on road use' - last V5C issued / changed February 2018. It's described as 1934 and black in colour.

EU 5372 is not listed on the A7CA Chassis Register.

A Terry McGrath has posted to the forum before - not sure if the two are related ?

Back in June 2002 a Kevin McGrath was competing in the Harewood Speed Hillclimb driving a Formula Ford 1600 pre 1994 - could this be him? If it may be him, there's a Classic Formula Ford 1600 Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFormulaFord1600
Hi Jeff,
Many thanks for the updates, EU 5372 was sold at the same time to Nigel Snow (Austin 7 dealer) so I was surprised its not on the registrar as I imagine its been sold on. I'll keep looking into the McGath family but as I know he bought the car all ready in poor condition, rather sure he never competed in it.

So as the car stood, it was already re bodied, fitted with a 4 speed gearbox, SU carb, telescopic rear dampers 17" front 19" rear tyres and all rather worn out however with only surface rust.. someone spent a lot of effort building her.

at the time could of only be sold on by word of mouth or local news papers, club magazine :-)

cheers
Matthew
            This thread is taking an interesting turn.  The black and white photo of EU5372 shows a chap in ice skates.  Mention of Blackpool and Nigel Snow.   About 6 years ago Nigel was asked to clear some Austin 7's from a disused ambulance depot in Blackpool.   He invited me to look at the Chummy that had been used as a clowns car.  I spent some time inspecting it and told him that I would like to buy it.  He was unable to tell me how much he wanted which was strange in view of the fact that he lead me to believe that it was for sale.
I did quite a bit of research and tried to buy it but got nowhere.   The car had been used latterly at an ice rink in Blackpool as part of an ice dancing show.  I believe the car was converted to circus use for Charlie Carolli and it was the star attraction of his 1948 season at the Blackpool Tower Circus.   It had been very professiionally modified for circus use.  Features included a smoke generator and back-fire device, a drop down rear body panel, fall away drivers door, scuttle compartment for a dead chicken, etc.  If you know me you will understand why I was so disappointed not to get it!
I subsequently saw the car being used for trialling, stripped of all the wonderful gadgets, all that history lost.  If I had bought it, I would have kept it just as it was and would have loved to demonstrate it at the Centenary Rally next year.  I took several pictures of the car when I was offered it so at least there is a record of it as it was.
Malcolm and I had some great ideas as to how the Clown's Car could have been used but, sadly, it all came to nothing.

Steve
I cannot think of a better pair of owners??
Alan Fairless
        We could have been at the Centenary Rally throwing buckets of whitewash at each other!
The car had been well modified for circus use.  As it would be overloaded, especially in the back seat, steel supports had been fitted between the rear floor and the axle, rendering the rear springs redundant.   As the car was being used on a flat surface, suspension wasn't necessary.  There was also steel bracing in the engine compartment to beef up the radiator and bonnet.
There was an auxiliary fuel tank mounted above the rear nearside wheel arch which served the smoke generator/backfire device that was under the nearside running board, encased in chicken wire.  A system of pipework and valves was fitted, the valves being between the front seats and also at the front of the car, presumably so that it could be made to backfire and belch smoke whilst the clown was turning the starting handle.  The windscreen wiper was extended and terminated in a white flag.  The pipework valves etc all looked WW2 vintage which supported the theory that the car was probably converted just after the war.    When I looked at it, the number plates were missing.  I believe it now has an age related number.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sorry to hear that you didn’t buy it Malcolm, here’s its history from sometime in the 60’s till now I guess ....

The saloon and special were acquired when he (Kevin Mcgarth) lived in Ringwood Hampshire. He moved to Blackpool in 1990 and I brought the cars up to Blackpool then.
The cars were put in his very large garage and never moved until I had to sell them.

My uncle was a very interesting person He was a professional ice skater in the 1960's he worked for the Vienna Ice revue one of his acts was a comedy car routine and the car that he used was an Austin seven tourer that is the 3rd car in the photos. That car went all over the continent and even to Russia with the ice revue, and in the 90's it went to Bangkok as part of the Blackpool Pleasure Beach Ice show my uncle was the company manager for that show.  

I now wonder if the current owners would have stripped it knowing it’s history 

Cheers 
Matthew