The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fuel Additives
95F - Ha! we laugh at such low temperatures eh Reckers. Interesting that the humidity was high as at the moment we are Very Very dry. I do seem to think that she runs better when there is a bit of moisture about though. Is there a discussion about jet sizes for the FZ22B carb?
    Here's my solution for prolonged hill climbing in these elevated temperatures. Remove the nearside bonnet panel, refit the hinge pin in the top panel and secure the hinge pin to bonnet catch with some wire.
Dave - been there, done that. I think that I must pay serious attention to float height and discover what main jet I have. Like I said, running in normal temperatures don't cause a problem, its just when we get these really high summer temps.

Just to add another bit of info. Cold or hot start, always have to use the choke. For cold start (less than 5deg C), full choke and half accelerator, then play the choke between zero and full, for the first 1/2 minute or so. Hot start, full choke and she fires up on the first couple of revs. If I don't use the choke, I can crank for 1/4 mins.
Its the same wether I use the handle or starter - if using the handle, a couple of swings with the ign off.
(26-07-2019, 04:58 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Here's my solution for prolonged hill climbing in these elevated temperatures. Remove the nearside bonnet panel, refit the hinge pin in the top panel and secure the hinge pin to bonnet catch with some wire.

Isn't the vertical coil in the fuel line a cause of vapour lock as noted in a number of earlier posts?
Ah, all our RNs start from cold, even in winter, with full choke and some throttle, as soon as they start the choke is opened (more from habit because with the original choke being side hinged a running engine will pull it closed and promptly choke itself to a stop although with my centre hinged choke that isn't a problem) and I'm off although it is a bit reluctant until I've done about 100 yards. This would suggest you have a weak mixture, my main jets are 70 and compensating 75. The fuel consumption is 35 mpg trundling around town rising to 50 mpg at 50 mph and falling to about 30 mpg on Malcolm Parker's Pennine run. I suggest you check the fuel level for which I use an old lawn mower fuel tank supplying the carburettor on my outside bench with the throttle section removed so you can see the fuel level in the main jet, this is much more difficult on the bronze 22 FZ carburettor.

All three RNs have the vertical coil in the fuel line with no apparent problem Tony.
Its cooler today and been out on a 2CV rally and it occurred to me, could it be coil related ? - however I must check float level and jets first. Whilst out in the 2CV (Yes I know, wash me mouth out), advice is to use the E98 fuel instead of E95 - reasons unknown !

Thanks for the jet sizes Dave.
Unfortunately I sold my "Umbrella on Wheels" no shame owning a 2CV and after all it is Citroen's centenary.
Cheers

Mark
Sits down, looks round the room at the other slightly shameful addicts, and says "Hi, my name is Steve and I also own a 2CV..."
"All three RNs have the vertical coil in the fuel line with no apparent problem Tony." 

Another theory  disproved !
I think I am cured, well almost. I managed to sell both my Acadianes and replaced them about 8 years ago with a C15 van for general DIY and building work. However it looks like I will have to go back to the C15s anonymous meeting because I've just bought another one. Our local Garagiste is moving premises and I noticed there was a C15 in their scrapyard, untouched so I called in today to find out what's up with it. Gearbox is shot apparently but that doesn't bother me as what I need is a rear subframe and a steering rack to get mine through the next MOT. Having done a deal to buy the whole van for 100€ he then said to me, I'll bring it round this afternoon - all it needs is a battery, it runs OK apart from the gearbox... cushty. (No paperwork of course but it's for spares)

Note for diary - buy some more shelving!