The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knocking Noise from Under the Car
Here's a silly problem that only reared its head this afternoon.

For the first time since I have had my RP saloon, I carried two substantial adults and a large dog in the car. Going down the admittedly rough track of about half a mile leading from my house to the main road, a heavy suspension related knocking noise started to emanate from the rear of the car. My rear passenger reported that it seemed to be coming from the footwell behind the drivers seat. The noise ceased immediately we started driving on the (smoother) public highway.

Having drooped my passengers and their dog off at their home, I drove back. No sign of the noise! However, when I got home, I did some investigation and discovered that the driver's side rear footwell is closer to the rear cross member that the passenger's side, which has something like a eighth of an inch clearance. The driver's side appears to taper from the outside to the transmission tunnel; from slightly less than 1/8th in. to virtually nothing. 

I am aware that some curiously defective repairs have been carried out to the  floor panels under the rear seat, but these are aft of the rear body mountings. I am also aware that the front driver's side floor has been repaired by the simple expedient of bolting a flat piece of sheet steel in place over the missing section. I also notice that the rear body mountings are bolted directly to the chassis extensions. The rear floor and footwells appear to be original and sound. The battery box has been replaced at some point with a fabricated galvanised steel box which is slightly larger than standard, as the rail that holds the hinges for the driver's seat is about an inch further forward than that on the passenger's side.

I suppose that, in an ideal world, the short answer would be to replace the whole of the floor pan, but I can see no way of doing this without demounting the body and I don't see the point of getting into what will probably turn out to be a full-scale rebuild, given that the body generally is qute sound and the doors open and shut satisfactorily.

Am I missing any packing between the chassis and the rear body mountings?

Has anyone else had a similar problem and, if so, how did they sort it out?

Photos of: 1 and 2 The rear floor repairs under the rear seat
3 and 4 The underside of the car where the cross member runs under the footwells. Photo 3 of the nearside. Photo 4 of the offside.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I suspect with the extra weight and work the back end has had to do the springs have been banging on the bottom of the tub on full bump. Mine does it, more on the offside because I generally run solo. Look for a tell-tale where the leaf clamp has been making contact.
The last photo is wrong. Herewith the correct one!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As Reckers says, rear springs or axle, whichever is nearest a body panel. Either way - body included - the immediate fix which comes to mind is slow down on bumpy tracks!
David I'd suggest that you choose your passengers more carefully, two petite young ladies & a Yorkshire Terrier are a better option than the two substantial adults & a large dog.....

Aye
Greig
Thank you Bruce and Chris for the suggestion. I have looked just in case you were correct, but can see no signs of the clamp contacting the tub. My granddaughter Willow (for it was she who was in the rear seat with their family dog - an American bulldog) reported that the noise was coming from the rear footwell as she could feel it through her feet. I tend to trust her on this as she is getting very good at identifying funny noises from cars - you haven't met her and her husband Lee's Peugeot which is currently (dis)gracing my garage, undergoing resurrection for MOT! The track is also quite steep, so is descended in second gear throttle off and brakes applied to keep the car steady.

Greig: Oh! I wish! I wish! But at my age, it might look like 'cradle-snatching'
My suggestion David if you have a granddaughter is to task her with wriggling around underneath to find the witness marks for you! If something is banging that hard there ought to be some sign of it. And if not perhaps she could stick some corrugated cardboard in likely places so you can repeat the experiment and leave some marks?
Chris, I may very well do that when Willow and Lee come back tomorrow for Part 2 of Peugeot resurrection.
Our eldest is Willow - we have only met three others!
Ruiaridh. I don't think it is a very common name. I have only come across one other, apart from your daughter.