The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread ID flywheel pit cover
help! I don’t think someone has drilled out and retreaded the bolt holes holding down the flywheel cover, but I’ve tried both Whitworth and BSF bolts and no luck...can anyone let me know what the standard size should be?
Ta!
1/4BSF
Alan Fairless
Thanks Alan, I’ll measure up and see if they are still standard...and order some 1/4 bsf set screws just in case!

“Friends” comes to the rescue again Smile
Mine are all 5/16" whit for the 'tin' cover, but there are 5/16" BSF to hold our mag Chummy starter.
Robert Leigh
Sorry Alan, I'm with Robert here! Mine are 5/16".
That's not to say they haven't been enlarged, but every 1/4" screw in the case is BSW as far as I'm aware...
Ah I’m talking of the clutch cover plate not the bit of tin that covers the bell housing. In that case it is 5/16 BSF on eRly engines and whit on the later ones. Sorry for the confusion.
Alan Fairless
Thanks fellas, yes it's the tin cover I'm talking about, so I'll check that it's 5/16 whit . I have a feeling someone may have stripped the threads in the past...how they've managed that I'll never know...
I had an engine through my hands where a previous owner had helicoiled a number of stripped 5/16" threads in the crankcase with M8 inserts, but used 5/16 UNF inserts for the head studs! Gets very confusing when people use non standard threads.
Black Art Enthusiast