The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elephant Motors Ltd Marine Conversion
Photo 
I have recently looked out an Austin 7 boat engine which has been sitting in a shed for some years.  It is a proper marine conversion by Elephant Motors Ltd and has some impressive bronze castings.    Some parts are misssing but not beyond being made by a capable engineer.  I am unable to do this so is there anyone out there who would like to take this on as a project and get it back in running order?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks to be raw water cooled using a Jabsco type pump (parts readily available today). Nice bronze manifold with integral water injection point for the water cooled exhaust outlet.
As it is raw water cooled (the river or sea water passing directly through the block) I would think it would be best for a river boat due to potential corrosion issues.
Interesting engine.
The pump mounting on the front of the magneto shaft is reminiscent of the water pump arrangement on a blown car. The extended starter handle housing looks similar as well

Charles
The crankcase of the Military cars also have the same water pump arrangement which I noticed when looking through the Military Parts List in the Archive the other day..
I always think of the military vehicles being after Austin went over to coil ignition. The parts list 1163 shows a water pump but with a coil engine and no indication where it might be driven. The drawings indicate an alternative shape to the front of the crankcase, but no matching nose piece. Come to that there is no impeller for the water pump. I have always had my doubts about the accuracy of these parts lists.
(23-07-2019, 02:33 PM)Ranelagh Wrote: I always think of the military vehicles being after Austin went over to coil ignition. The parts list 1163 shows a water pump but with a coil engine and no indication where it might be driven. The drawings indicate an alternative shape to the front of the crankcase, but no matching nose piece. Come to that there is no impeller for the water pump. I have always had my doubts about the accuracy of these parts lists.

I had a look and noticed that. 
Since the water pump mounting cradle is "bolt on" rather than part of the timing case outer casting, as on blown cars, my assumption is that all those parts are "aftermarket " bits supplied by Elephant or whoever  

Charles