The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ruby-Opal-Pearl radiator deflector
Well done Colin, would be interested in the results of fitting the side panels also. Then we can knock this on the head.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Hopefully, adding the side baffles will show some effect - I'll have a go when I get a chance and report back.

Colin
Added the side panels this evening and blocked any gaps with Bluetac/duct tape to ensure that the air couldn't escape around the sides or base of the radiator.  Peak temperature seen when running at 40mph was 95 degrees C.  (This occurred when travelling east and held steady.)  Then removed all three air deflectors and did the same run again.  Peak temperature seen this time flickered between 95 and 96 degrees.  Ambient air temperature was 21 for both runs.  

So, from this short test, it looks as if the additional cooling effect from having the side and bottom deflectors in place was less than 1 degree C.  

Colin
Thanks Colin
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Colin's suggestion that the mystery panel may have been meant for Export models is commendable.  Only problem :- of the dozens of Rubys I restored or part/restored here in Oz over the years (and I had 3 of my own), I've never seen one.  Most of those Rubys also had the side deflectors missing, which prompted me to make a swag for our Club.  But the general concensus was they didn't make any noticeable difference when fitted anyway.  Perhaps the conditions weren't severe enough here as our Mountains are only Hills compared with Europe's.  Very interesting.  Thanks for the photos and descriptions - it's good to learn something new each day  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
        this will set the cat amongst the pigeons with the purist. Don’t panic I still have the original. 
Two times £1.80 for Toolstation aluminium 6x9” louvres , three cans of spray paint from Halfords £23 and a spare bonnet that’s been in storage for thirty years. Touring bonnet.
On the Berlin trip some years ago my Ruby had the side deflectors in place, and I occasionally suffered fuel vaporisation. It seemed to me that those who did not have side deflectors did not have the problem. I conclude that the air reaching the carburettor is cooler if some of it has bypassed the radiator. In my many years of Ruby ownership it only became a problem as petrol was modified to a more volatile mixture.
Robert Leigh
OYes Fully tested cooling system, four blade fan,  louvred bonnet, radiator side flitch plates.
35degrees climbing Swiss mountain passes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)