The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Interior lamp and switch July 32 RN de luxe
My RN is fitted with a switch located just behind drivers right ear and a corner roof light. Lamp not working before I start stripping things out can anyone suggest a wiring route that it may have please. Nothing in Woodrow.
I have traced some old wiring and am happy to use the length from the switch to the lamp as is in situ, but I need to run new wire from live source to switch, I can find a route but my question is where do I source the live feed from in order that I can isolate the lamp when I switch engine off and secondly what gauge of wire should I use for my 6 volt system. Grateful for all help as electrics is my least of all best subject !!!

Peter
I expect your lightbulb is 6 watts or less.

6 watts at 6 volts is 1 amp.

It is always good to overspecify cable when only 6 volts available, so the 5 amp cable out of an old table lamp or similar will do.

I always distrust the body as a means of earth return, so I would use twin wire, one live to the bulb from the switch, one back to an earthing point which itself is connected back to the battery.
Thanks for that but can you help me with where I pick up the live from please? I want it to isolate when I switch the engine off.
Peter
A tortuous route, but under the headlining, down the inside of the door pillar, out by the dash and into the back of the ignition switch - same terminal as the coil, or you could connect onto the cutout/regulator under the bonnet. The hardest bit is threading the wire. Just as a thought, (as my RN has a vacuum wiper), I think there is a switched live on the windscreen wiper circuit ??
OK. Havn't done much over the school holidays so back into fitting my inside light wiring. I have conected the new length of wire to the back of the lamp and threaded it tidily and discreetly to the back of the dashboard, I have removed the switch / ammeter unit and found this birdsnest. I think the terminal I want is the one with the green, blue and black wires going to it. Is it safe to put another wire into here? Should I look for an alternative terminal elsewhere? Can I attached it directly to the plus side of the coil? I have enough wire to get through to here? TIA
Peter. Pleased to see the date 6/32 scratched on the back. True to original. Or could have been added later I know???

With a problem like that I would use a "chocolate block" type terminal block.

One piece of copper solid wire connecting two or three teminals together, with a "tail" to the switch, and the other wires with little paper labels for i/d into the other side of the block.

Very non-vintage, but easy to use and not bullet connectors, which I do not like.
Thank you again The Forum!

Chocolate blocks are old technology!

Wago connectors are the way to go (pun intended) if located out of the weather. Boxes for multiple connectors are available and can be hidden under the dash etc.

I've not tried the cheap chinese carp copies on evil bay
In Austin Seven terms and time chocolate block connectors are ultra high technology.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.