The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Seven one of the UKs top first cars
Thumbs Up 
Hi there  Smile

I thought this bit of research might be interesting to Austin Seven enthusiasts! 

Austin Seven is the most popular first cars for new drivers in the 1950s -followed by the Morris Eight, Ford Prefect, Vauxhall Velux and Morris Mini. You can read more on the research which involved surveying 2000 brits, here https://www.zerodepositcarleasing.co.uk/uks-favourite-car/

Was an Austin Seven your first car?
Yes..in 1957/8 a 1930 saloon with the top sawn off !
Followed in 1958  by a 1931 saloon that is apparently now an Ulster!.....
Yep! Mid '60's. The remains of a Type 65 with a Ford 10 engine (and gearbox??) Bought in the village for £5, messed about with, driven round the fields and eventually sold via Exchange & Mart for £10. I can still see it going away on a trailer to two blokes from Manchester. One of my great regrets is that I don't know its registration number.

Steve
Me too. Mid '60s. I bought my Opal tourer in Devon and drove it home to Surrey knowing zero about cars or engines. I still own the same car, and still know precious little about how it all works - or should work !
Another Opal owner here, an excellent choice for a first car; photo taken in the Goyt Valley near Buxton, location now under water in the Goyt Reservoir.

.jpg   1966 P1050541.800.jpg (Size: 334.02 KB / Downloads: 380)
Yep, Me too, 1932 Austin 7 RN Box Saloon.My first car, bought it off my Uncle for 10 Quid in 1954.  Cant remember the registration unfortunately.  Now running a 1932 RP.
Snap! I was an 18 year old student in 1965 and could only afford a £5 none working Opal which my dad and I towed home from a nearby village. I still have it 54 years on.
Nope. Late 60s and an Austin, but A35 not 7. Didn’t get sevenning until 1974 with a ‘26 Special. Still got it along with 2 or 3 others acquired along the way.
Alan Fairless
Austin Opal chrome rad was my fathers first car when I arrived on the scene in 1953, we used to travel from Tottenham to Saundersfoot at least once a year in it for 4 years,The car remained in Wales as dad sold it to my uncle also his first car, who converted it into an Hamblin Cadet.
Re first car in 1950s, Forum members are not a representative example.  Depends whether includes first car still used in 1950s or first car purchased in 1950s.  Most of the former owners and many of the latter are not around to answer surveys. Many owners in the early 50s were the wartime generation and their car their first, often purchased before 1950. Were many Essex, Model A, Chevs etc here. Sevens were common in the early 50s but sparse by 1960. I can recall only a few relatives, neighbours etc who bought their first car in the 1950s and most acquired better. Averaged over the whole decade would be surprised if Seven was most common first car here.